Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Keeps dropping Internet

arthurpolo
Tutor

RBR50 Keeps dropping Internet

I have the same issue. I down graded my firmware and it was stable for a while until the orbi automatically upgraded itself and then started dropping it again.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Keeps dropping Internet

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 6
arthurpolo
Tutor

Hi, let me try and answer your questions:

The Orbi RBR50 is set up as an AP.  I have two different AP solutions in my house, the Orbi rbr50 and TP-Link Omada's 245's (also acting as AP's) with an ubiquiti edgerouter X handling DNS and other things.

1. The Omada's are not losing connection to the Edgerouter (ever)

2. The Orbi does, after a firmware update, lose connection to the Edgerouter daily

3. The edge router is not losing internet

Orbi has firmware V2.7.4.24. I have powered off an cycled the Orbi and Edgerouter. The only fix I have found is to reboot the Orbi. When I downgraded the firmware to 2.7.3.22 the problem went away but the router keeps automatically upgrading itself to the latest firmware re-introducing the problem.

A factory reset has not been performed, I hesitated to do that since the firmware downgrade worked, and frankly it is a pain.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the Orbi continue to drop internet with the other AP system turned OFF? 

What channels are being used on the RBR and this other AP system? 

What is the distance between the RBR and this other system? Feet? 

Too Much Wifi: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Message 4 of 6
arthurpolo
Tutor

Hi: See answers:

1. I have not tried to shut off Omada. They have run next to each other for a year now.

2. Orbi is on Autoselect channel. Omada has two points, one on channel 1 and one on channel 6.

3. The closest Orbi to Omada point is probably 40 feet and three bedrooms away. Omada covers first floor master bedroom and the basement.  Orbi covers the rest of the house.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try with the other system off as a troubleshooting step.

If you do have both online at the same time, ensure one system is set to far apart channels, 2.4Ghz for orbi try channel 1, the other system set for channel 11. 5ghz set Orbi for 40 and the other system for 48. 

You might turn down the power output of one or the other systems to help with noise and interferences. I run two Orbi systems in my home, I set one for 50% power and the other for 25%. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7