Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Lan Ports Not Working

Guapo_Apo
Aspirant

RBR50 Lan Ports Not Working

Out of nowhere LAN ports on RBR50 have stopped working. WAN works great. Found this out as Smartthings hub went offline and Amazon video stopped playing. Will intermittently come back on of I reboot the router. Any ideas or is this hardware related?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Are ethernet cables in good condition and quality. Some cables could be a cause.

I would disconnect all devices then connect up one wired PC and let it run. Check the connection. Then enable one of the other devices. Check for the problem. Graduate adding devices.

Any chance you have a external Gb network LAN switch avail to test with? You could connect up all devices to it and see if router still fails.

If anything pops up, could be a device issue or router maybe faulty.

@Guapo_Apowrote:
Out of nowhere LAN ports on RBR50 have stopped working. WAN works great. Found this out as Smartthings hub went offline and Amazon video stopped playing. Will intermittently come back on of I reboot the router. Any ideas or is this hardware related?

Message 2 of 19
Guapo_Apo
Aspirant

Hi, yes, Ethernet cables are new and of good quality. I unplugged and reconnected all devices and it appears to have fixed the problem. If it happens again I will try your suggestions. Thank you so much for replying.
Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 19
Brain29
Apprentice

I have the same issue every day I have to reset my router once because LAN goes down sometimes WAN goes out too but everytime it starts with LAN 
V2.1.2.18

Is there a Fix 

Would like a router to act like a router kind of pointless if it cant connect things 

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need more info your experiences.

What is the Mfr and model of the ISP modem? built in router by chance?

Is the ethernet cabling between modem and router and devices of good quality? Cat6 recommended. Don't mix Cat# cables.

What ethernet devices are you connecting to the router?

Try the suggestions I mentioned to see any changes in behavior with the router. Graduate adding devices.

@Brain29wrote:

I have the same issue every day I have to reset my router once because LAN goes down sometimes WAN goes out too but everytime it starts with LAN 
V2.1.2.18

Is there a Fix 

Would like a router to act like a router kind of pointless if it cant connect things 

Message 6 of 19
Brain29
Apprentice

modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB6141 dirrect into the orbi
right now I have cat 6a but I have 5a and 8a on hand not sure why copper thickness or mix would make a router crash ???

satallite is connected wireless 

Message 7 of 19
Brain29
Apprentice

everything connected to the router is the same that was connected to an old asus router that never dropped lan 

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What ethernet devices are connected to the back of the router? Mfr and model#?

Theres cat6 and CAT6a. Cat6A is in wall big cable for in wall and ceiling runs.

Cat 6 is standard patch cables used between home and office devices.

Cat 7 is targested for over 10Gb network services.

Cat 8 is designed only for data centers where distances between switches and servers is short. It is not intended for general office cabling.

@Brain29wrote:

modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB6141 dirrect into the orbi
right now I have cat 6a but I have 5a and 8a on hand not sure why copper thickness or mix would make a router crash ???

satallite is connected wireless 

Message 9 of 19
Brain29
Apprentice

"not sure why copper thickness or mix would make a router crash"

RBK50-100NAS

RBS50

samsung smarttv

harmoney hub

vontage phone servcie

3 workstations
2 raid servers (typically in idle)

wireless probally 8 phone and tablets (maybe 2 in use at one time)

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Cables could be bad or not of good quality.

Which devices do you have connected via ethernet cable with the router?

@Guapo_Apowrote:

Message 11 of 19
Brain29
Apprentice

ethernet devices

(unmanaged swtich) samsung smarttv

(unmanaged swtich) harmoney hub

(unmanaged switch) vontage phone servcie

(2 direct 1 switch) 3 workstations
(1 direct 1 switch) 2 raid servers (typically in idle)

there are no bad cables the switch goes down with everything else

There is power to all the lan ports but the orbi dose not deliever IP address or subnet
I can connect to the router via wireless most the time 2 out of 10 times both wifi and lan drop, most the time it is just the LAN
a simple reset fixes the problem 
the satallite will drop (it goes megenta) - but I can connect to the base wifi (most the time)

*typically I would guess a memory leak of some kind but because it just effects LAN devices I'm not sure

I have unplugged everything and tested the router Lan still drops if I leave one workstation in

Dropping occures after 20+ hrs of run time

typically after I return home so maybe 2+ hours of idle connection 

If I leave something like netflix on I haven't noticed a drop

At first I guessed it was because my google home and chromecast(lan) but I have had them unplugged for a good few weeks and the problem still occures. I aslo rewrote all my android phones to pre 8.0 

my old asus rt56 has no issues like this (its old and slow needs to be replaced) 

Message 12 of 19
Guapo_Apo
Aspirant

Smartthings hub, Playstation 4 and Sony TV.  Disconnecting and reconnecting seems to have fixed the problem... 

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you remove all switches and directly connect each device directly to the router and see if any thing changes?

What is the Mfr and model of the external swtich? 

@Brain29wrote:

ethernet devices

(unmanaged swtich) samsung smarttv

(unmanaged swtich) harmoney hub

(unmanaged switch) vontage phone servcie

(2 direct 1 switch) 3 workstations
(1 direct 1 switch) 2 raid servers (typically in idle)

there are no bad cables the switch goes down with everything else

There is power to all the lan ports but the orbi dose not deliever IP address or subnet
I can connect to the router via wireless most the time 2 out of 10 times both wifi and lan drop, most the time it is just the LAN
a simple reset fixes the problem 
the satallite will drop (it goes megenta) - but I can connect to the base wifi (most the time)

*typically I would guess a memory leak of some kind but because it just effects LAN devices I'm not sure

I have unplugged everything and tested the router Lan still drops if I leave one workstation in

Dropping occures after 20+ hrs of run time

typically after I return home so maybe 2+ hours of idle connection 

If I leave something like netflix on I haven't noticed a drop

At first I guessed it was because my google home and chromecast(lan) but I have had them unplugged for a good few weeks and the problem still occures. I aslo rewrote all my android phones to pre 8.0 

my old asus rt56 has no issues like this (its old and slow needs to be replaced) 

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Wonder if there was some conflic or hang up with between these devices and the router. 

Glad you got it working. Let us know if it happens again.

@Guapo_Apowrote:

Smartthings hub, Playstation 4 and Sony TV.  Disconnecting and reconnecting seems to have fixed the problem... 

Message 15 of 19
Brain29
Apprentice

@FURRYe38

"I have unplugged "everything" and tested the router Lan still drops if I leave one workstation in"

why is 2.0.1.4 current but 2.1.2.18 previous  -- is there something wrong with 2.1.2.18 

the logs are pretty unhelpful *they dont show any error or drop

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes NG pulled v.18 due to complaints from customers so v.14 is most current. 

If it's still dropping connections, I would contact NG support and get more help and information on this, you may have a bad unit and would need to be replaced. Ask about an RMA. 

@Brain29wrote:

@FURRYe38

"I have unplugged "everything" and tested the router Lan still drops if I leave one workstation in"

why is 2.0.1.4 current but 2.1.2.18 previous  -- is there something wrong with 2.1.2.18 

the logs are pretty unhelpful *they dont show any error or drop

Message 17 of 19
Brain29
Apprentice

ill go back to 1.4 and see if it still happens *cross my fingers

is there a way to turn off auto update without the Telnet hack ? seems kind of stupid to not have setting to pause or delay or wait  for updates to be approved 

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, I would factory reset, load the FW file using IE11 or FF, factory reset all wired to the router with a ethernet cable PC. Set up from scratch. 

Hope this helps. 

I don't believe so. You'll have to try the telnet work around...

@Brain29wrote:

ill go back to 1.4 and see if it still happens *cross my fingers

is there a way to turn off auto update without the Telnet hack ? seems kind of stupid to not have setting to pause or delay or wait  for updates to be approved 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7