Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Orbi Router Cant connect to NBN

mediabiz
Aspirant

RBR50 Orbi Router Cant connect to NBN

Hi,

I bought a ORBI RBR50 system a couple of years ago to act as an access point as the WiFi from the iPrimus supplied NBN router was crap. At the time, I needed my VOIP landline, so I had to keep the original Primus router connected.

I have no use for the VOIP line any more and want to completely get rid of the dreadful Primus router. 

I did a factory reset on the ORBI (after checking for any firmware updates) to try to make the connection as smooth as possible.

The web based setup went ahead but would not recognise the NBN fibre modem. I had made sure the ORBI was set to PPOe and supplied the correct username and password but cannot get the ORBI to see the NBN modem. Ethernet cable swaps, modem resets - nothing works.

Primus tech support told me there should be no issues as they claim they do not lock the service using MAC addresses or similar and I was free to use any router as long as it was NBN compatible.

I have run out of options and was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Orbi Router Cant connect to NBN

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Did you power OFF both modem and RBR for 30 seconds then back ON with the modem first then RBR? 

Might search the forums here for NGN configurations...I believe you should find some info...

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@mediabiz wrote:

The web based setup went ahead but would not recognise the NBN fibre modem. I had made sure the ORBI was set to PPOe and supplied the correct username and password but cannot get the ORBI to see the NBN modem. Ethernet cable swaps, modem resets - nothing works.

Primus tech support told me there should be no issues as they claim they do not lock the service using MAC addresses or similar and I was free to use any router as long as it was NBN compatible.

This is the iPrimus network in Australia, correct?

I have searched for some sort of guide to "How to connect your router" without finding anything useful.  (It doesn't help that iPrimus uses the term "modem" to refer to their combination modem/telephone/router/WiFi device.)

Did the original setup consist of two devices? (modem and router?)

Do you have one of these modems?

https://www.iprimus.com.au/setup?_ga=2.164566719.101044623.1608663724-966582565.1608663724 

Message 3 of 6
mediabiz
Aspirant

It's got firmware 2.6.1.40 loaded (latest for my region according to the Netgear website).

I don't know manufacturer or model of the modem - it's the standard fibre modem supplied by NBN Co.  in Australia.

I performed the power up sequence as specified by Netgear - NBN modem first, wait until modem connects to network then power up ORBI.

I've had varying results in searching both this and other forums on RBR50/NBN connectioin issues. Some say it cant be done as my provider (iPrimus) lock users into thier own routers where others (including iPrimus customer support) say it can be done as per the standard setup procedure.

All I know is the standard router from iPrimus is absolute garbage and is just not performing up to the task.

Message 4 of 6
mediabiz
Aspirant

Yes, that's correct, it's connected to iPrimus.

The router they supply is the Audiocodes MP264 - a widely used by several ISP's that is very cheap and has popped up as the culprit of many issues in various forums.

I have the NBN Co supplied fibre modem (the standard modem installed) plus the iPrimus Audiocodes router.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@mediabiz wrote:

I have the NBN Co supplied fibre modem (the standard modem installed) plus the iPrimus Audiocodes router.

If the fiber modem has no product label, could you post a picture of it?

(use the Browse..." button in the lower left.  Pictures posted "in-line" have to be approved by a forum moderator, which can take days.)

My son in North Carolina had fiber put in and the installer ran it inside the house all the way to their fiber box, which has an optical connector on it and an ethernet jack for his router. Not being familiar with iPrimus, I don't even know if the optical fiber plugs into this "Modem"... or what.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7