Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Problem

Ian_Dickson
Aspirant

RBR50 Problem

My RBR50 router is Ethernet wired to my Virginmedia Internet cable router and has worked fine through this. Today this connecting cable was inadvertently disconnected for a few minutes then plugged back in. The Orbi WiFi came back up but now when I go into many websites I get presented with a small window asking me to log into the website. This never happened before and when I take WiFi off and log in with my phones network without WiFi I go straight to the webpage as before. To me it looks like a setting has changed. I tried updating the firmware for the RBR50 but this hasn’t helped. Does anyone have any experience of this happening. It now means I can’t get into websites such as my golf club while using the orbi wifi.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Ian_Dickson
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 Problem

The problem seems to be resolved by resetting the RBR50 to factory settings and setting up the system again which includes re-booting the virginmedia router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Ian_Dickson
Aspirant

The problem seems to be resolved by resetting the RBR50 to factory settings and setting up the system again which includes re-booting the virginmedia router.

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Just curious....why do you run your  virginmedia router?  Why not run the Orbi router solo?

Message 3 of 6
Ian_Dickson
Aspirant

I’m in the UK. My broadband is with virginmedia and comes in through a coaxial type cable - see picture of back of router box. I don’t believe such a cable broadband connection can go directly into the Orbi router - maybe I’m wrong. Anyhow rebooting the virginmedia router and resetting the Orbi to factory settings worked.

sorry the jpeg on my iPad won’t load

Message 4 of 6
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Ian_Dickson wrote:

I’m in the UK. My broadband is with virginmedia and comes in through a coaxial type cable - see picture of back of router box. I don’t believe such a cable broadband connection can go directly into the Orbi router - maybe I’m wrong. Anyhow rebooting the virginmedia router and resetting the Orbi to factory settings worked.

sorry the jpeg on my iPad won’t load

Generally when a company has to run a router of their own for the customer to connect to, you can ask them to set the router into Bridged mode so that it gives your router (the Orbi) the direct internet IP. I have been doing that and the Orbi has been very stable as a router, much more so than my internet providers router.

Message 5 of 6
Ian_Dickson
Aspirant

The router was already in place but the WiFi was not that strong about a large house - I bought the Orbi to improve the WiFi strength and range of signal.

This was achieved with the current configuration until I accidentally disconnected the Ethernet cable.

its now fine again.

if I called out Virginmedia to my house this would be expensive.

i now get download speeds of 150-160mB/s and uploads of 15-20mB/s.

the coverage and signal strength are good. So there is I think little advantage in changing.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7