Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50/RBS50 Moving from one router to another

pankajsingh
Aspirant

RBR50/RBS50 Moving from one router to another

I already have an existing RBR50 (call it MASTER) and RBS50 (call it SATELLITE-1). I needed to have another satellite RBS50 to my network. I purchased another RBS50 (call it eBaySatellite) and it also came with RBR50 (call it eBayMaster) from eBay.

I dont care about eBayMaster for now.

What I am trying to do is make eBaySatellite connect to MASTER as another satellite. I sync'ed it using buttons, using browser, tried resetting... Nothing seems to work.

What does happen is - everytime I turn on eBayMaster, eBaySatellite connects back to eBayMaster.

How do I make eBaySatellit connect to MASTER and therefore acts as it satellite?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50/RBS50 Moving from one router to another

If you hardwire into it, can you run it through the sync process?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the master 1 router? 

What firmware is on the satellite you're trying to sync? 

They need to be on the same version. 

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@pankajsingh wrote:

What I am trying to do is make eBaySatellite connect to MASTER as another satellite. I sync'ed it using buttons, using browser, tried resetting... Nothing seems to work.

Was the reset button on the new satellite (inside that tiny hole) held until the power LED turned amber, and then began to flash?

(this often takes10-12 seconds)

I agree that "it's seems logical" to have the same firmware release on both router and satellite.  There are plenty of posts on the forum from users where this is not the case. And, the original Orbi sync's with a host of satellites that cannot possibly have the same firmware version (RBW30, RBS40V, RBS50Y, for example).  Once the new satellite gets connected to the existing router, it is probably a good idea to ensure that they all have the same firmware release.

Message 3 of 10
pankajsingh
Aspirant

All of them have V2.7.3.22

Message 4 of 10
pankajsingh
Aspirant

Yes actually, the power button did flash amber. What never happened though is - the orbi satellite never went solid white. That is what the instruction expects to happen

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Message 6 of 10
pankajsingh
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

I can try. You mean hard-wire the new satellite to the RBR50?

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Some people have reported success with the 30-30-30.  i.e. get a firm grip on the paperclip, hold it in the reset hole for 30 seconds, then power the satellite off, then power it back on and keep holding the paperclip for 30 seconds.

Damn.  People report adding satellite they bought from eBay all the time.  (The usual question is how to convert the surplus router into another satellite.)

Message 8 of 10
pankajsingh
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Some people have reported success with the 30-30-30.  i.e. get a firm grip on the paperclip, hold it in the reset hole for 30 seconds, then power the satellite off, then power it back on and keep holding the paperclip for 30 seconds.

Damn.  People report adding satellite they bought from eBay all the time.  (The usual question is how to convert the surplus router into another satellite.)

Nothing wrong with that! Everything else bought in eBay works. I love Orbi while it works, but man they are troublesome if you customise it a bit!

Message 9 of 10
pankajsingh
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

This actually worked. Not sure if hard-wiring helped OR the fact that I kept trying till it worked. The white light finally disappeared. One unique thing this time was that there was no ring light

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7