Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 RBS50 US Version Compatible?

scooter456
Tutor

RBR50 RBS50 US Version Compatible?

I'm trying to update my router and satellite to the US version of the latest firmware, but I get an error that it's an "incorrect version" when I try to upload the image file.  I'm in the domestic US and not sure how to tell if my router / satellite hardware version is a non-US version.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

The only hardware difference between US and other country Orbi units is the electrical plug.

I would download the zip files and unpack them again.

Sometimes when "browsing" to select the firmware file, I have clicked on RBR when I should have clicked on RBS.(or vice versa)

Chrome is running on Windows or Mac?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you buy the system outside the US region? 

What browser did you use to udpate the system? 

What verion of FW were you using? 

You need to besure to unpack the .zip files. 

Be sure to manually update the RBS first then the RBR lastly...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

You can directly manually update the RBS using it's web page as well. 

Message 2 of 12
scooter456
Tutor

Hi.  

• I purchased the RBK50 router and satellite from eBay and looked like it was an Amazon refurbished set.  As it was shipped from the east coast, I assume it's a US version, but not sure if there is some sort of model identification somewhere to confirm.
  • I'm using Chrome 87.0.4280 and attaching over WIFI through the web admin tool at orbilogin.com
  • My RBR50 and RBS50 are currently using 2.6.1.40.  I'm trying to manually update them to 2.7.1.60.
  • I've unpacked the files into a directory and trying to upload the image from that directory.  I get the "incorrect version" error on the satellite and the router.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

The only hardware difference between US and other country Orbi units is the electrical plug.

I would download the zip files and unpack them again.

Sometimes when "browsing" to select the firmware file, I have clicked on RBR when I should have clicked on RBS.(or vice versa)

Chrome is running on Windows or Mac?

Message 4 of 12
scooter456
Tutor

I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 and the units defintely have US plugs. 

I read over the instructions and it says not to do the file by WIFI and to be directly connected by Ethernet so maybe I'll give that a shot.  However, manually updating firmware through WIFI worked on the other versions not specified US version.

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

there's also a Version 1 and a version 2 of the RBR/S50 series. 

MIght be worth checking the label if you have V1 or V2

Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@scooter456 wrote:

I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 and the units defintely have US plugs. 

I read over the instructions and it says not to do the file by WIFI and to be directly connected by Ethernet so maybe I'll give that a shot.  However, manually updating firmware through WIFI worked on the other versions not specified US version.

We "old timers" have a definite bias in favor of a "wired connection."  It should make no difference.  The main issue is that the Orbi wll reboot after the firmware update and the WiFi conection will drop, whereas an ethernet connection should reestablish automatically.

Message 7 of 12
scooter456
Tutor

Your response got me thinking so I updated Chrome with the Help About and relaunched it.  I turned off the uBlock Origin ad blocker, which I think was probably the issue and then very carefully chose the correct "R" or "S" version.  It worked and my router and satellite are happily running on 2.7.1.60.  My satellite is reporting Region:North America on the web page of the satellite's IP address.

Thank you!

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

glad it worked!

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend having a different browser to handle only FW updates and that it doesn't have any browser add ons. 

After v60 is applied, you may see v102 available. You can update to this as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2034115/high...

@scooter456 wrote:

Your response got me thinking so I updated Chrome with the Help About and relaunched it.  I turned off the uBlock Origin ad blocker, which I think was probably the issue and then very carefully chose the correct "R" or "S" version.  It worked and my router and satellite are happily running on 2.7.1.60.  My satellite is reporting Region:North America on the web page of the satellite's IP address.

Thank you!

Message 10 of 12
scooter456
Tutor

Good call on the browser.  I'll use a clean Firefox for that going forward.  It will probably do better holding the authentication without asking me to provide admin credentials every few minutes like Chrome does (at least with my suite of plugin extensions).

I let it do the automatic firmware check from the admin web page and it found the v102 and it was able to update both the satellite and router.  I'm a frequent user of the iOS app so if it helps the Device Manager report more reliably, that's a cool thing.

Message 11 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@scooter456 wrote:

Good call on the browser.  I'll use a clean Firefox for that going forward.  It will probably do better holding the authentication without asking me to provide admin credentials every few minutes like Chrome does (at least with my suite of plugin extensions).

Alas, every browser will pop up the authentication. It is a function of the web page.  My observation is that the Attached Devices asks the most frequently.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7