Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Router going offline after almost 2 years

deeeteee30
Follower

RBR50 Router going offline after almost 2 years

I have been using the Orbi Router and Satellite for almost 2 years without a hitch.  Love it in fact.  

In the past week, however, we are having frequent drop-outs which is causing major grief.  The app shows the Router is offline.  Without any intervention it rectifies itself and goes back online.

In this time my mobile cannot get online, it says "connected without internet".  My google home appears to keep working however.  Does this make sense?

I updated to latest firmware and have power cycled through the modem, router and satellite.

Any suggestions as to why it's now doing this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Re: RBR50 Router going offline after almost 2 years

@deeeteee30 wrote:

I have been using the Orbi Router and Satellite for almost 2 years without a hitch.  Love it in fact.  

In the past week, however, we are having frequent drop-outs which is causing major grief.  The app shows the Router is offline.  Without any intervention it rectifies itself and goes back online.

In this time my mobile cannot get online, it says "connected without internet".  My google home appears to keep working however.  Does this make sense?

I updated to latest firmware and have power cycled through the modem, router and satellite.

It's possible it is a connection problem. The 3 possibilities are network connection (dirty connection), network cable, or power supply.

Clean the connector by unplugging and plugging in the cable a few times. Check and/or change the network cable coming from your ISP modem to the Orbi router. Also check the power supply and make sure it is not getting hot or is defective. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@deeeteee30 wrote:

Message 3 of 5
banner1124
Aspirant

You aen't by any chance working remotely and connecting to work through a vpn are you?

The reason I ask is because I started experiencing this exact issue about a month or so ago and was completely perplexed as to why my router kept losing it's internet connection.  I updated my firmware and power cycled everything and it worked for a bit and I thought I was in the clear.  Then i started getting the same thing happening again and again.  I just so happend to notice one day that I always seemd to be remoted in to my work laptop when this happened so I started researching and I found out about an issue with a recent update to Pulse Secure which caused an issue with the Juniper Network Service.  Here's what they said on the website:

"This issue is caused due to an interoperability with the Juniper Network Service which binds to physical adapters when Pulse Desktop Client is installed."

So I followed the instructions and disabled the Juniper Network Services option on my physical and virtual adapters (you actually have to connect to the VPN to see and modify the virtual adapter) and that was the ticket.  I haven't had a problem since

Here's the link to the PulseSecure KB that I used

If this is your problem than the advice on that link should fix you right up.  If not then I hope you find your issue and I hope that this info maybe helps someone else who's experiencing this problem and doesn't have an idea what's happening

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I work from home and use work installed VPN client on my work PC. 

I would contact the Mfr of the VPN for additional help and information regarding there product. They may have troubleshooting information that will help here. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7