Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 SSID=NETGEAR41, after reset see ORBI57 but neither default or my password unlock router

TaoKao
Aspirant

RBR50 SSID=NETGEAR41, after reset see ORBI57 but neither default or my password unlock router

I was having some router issues after a circuit got tripped (the RBR50 is on a UPS whidh did not stay up before I reset the circuit).  Could not get the RBR50 to come cleanly up and stable.  Decided that it was easy enough to rebuild, so went through the set up "new" router on my phone.  I had set the password, didn't let me connect to the router.  I used the reset procedure, neither my or the default password would allow me to router.  At this timwe I noticed that the router when powered on came up with SSID=NETGEAR41 rather than ORBI57.  When I reset after power on I could see SSID=ORBI57 and could try both passowrds which fail.  Looks like after a one minute timeout SSID=ORBI57 goes away till I repeat.  I had seen in posts to hold RESET for 30 seconds and also pull power after that, didn't work for the "hard reset".  Any ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 SSID=NETGEAR41, after reset see ORBI57 but neither default or my password unlock router

There may be a misconception over how fast things happen when resetting an Orbi.  I just did a Factory Reset on my spare Orbi:

Time 0 seconds - press paperclip into reset hold. Power LED turns Orange immediately, then begins to flash

10 seconds - remove paperclip from reset hole. Power LED turns Green

Ring light on top begins to cycle on/off.  Not "fade", simply on/off.

1:05 Ring light begins to fade on/ fade off

2:40 Ring light turns solid white. (and seems to stay on solid white until I "do something".

Connect ethernet cable (or log into the WiFi using the SSID/password on the product label. I prefer the ethernet cable.)

NOTE: I leave my network adapter on "get an IP address using DHCP.  I do not set a static IP on my computer.

The Orbi's IP will be my "gateway" address.  (Most of the time, this is 192.168.1.1.  In MY case, this Orbi is connected to another Orbi that has already taken 192.168.1.1, so this Orbi decided to use 10.0.0.1)

Open a web browser and connect to http://orbilogin.net  (or, the gateway IP)

IThe screen comes up "For fastest setup...". I ignore that, scroll down to the bottom and click on "If you don't have a compatible smartphone..."

Answer a bunch of questions. Skip satellite setup (do that later) Enter new admin password & security questions. Set up WiFi SSID/password.. ignore registration (done that already). ignore offers..... yada yada yada.

White light remains ON.

There should be NO HURRY.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
vajim
Master

@TaoKao wrote:

I was having some router issues after a circuit got tripped (the RBR50 is on a UPS whidh did not stay up before I reset the circuit).  Could not get the RBR50 to come cleanly up and stable.  Decided that it was easy enough to rebuild, so went through the set up "new" router on my phone.  I had set the password, didn't let me connect to the router.  I used the reset procedure, neither my or the default password would allow me to router.  At this timwe I noticed that the router when powered on came up with SSID=NETGEAR41 rather than ORBI57.  When I reset after power on I could see SSID=ORBI57 and could try both passowrds which fail.  Looks like after a one minute timeout SSID=ORBI57 goes away till I repeat.  I had seen in posts to hold RESET for 30 seconds and also pull power after that, didn't work for the "hard reset".  Any ideas?

wow....the only thing I can recommend is NOT use the app

If you have to reset/rebuild anything do it with a PC login.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

A Factory Reset will put the Orbi back "the way it came out of the box".

The WiFi SSID and password will match what is printed on the product label (usually on the bottom).

The Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) will have credentials "admin" and "password".

("admin" cannot be changed, and the setup process will urge you to make up a "less guessable" password.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

If you have done nothing to customize the Orbi, it should be "ready to use" as soon as the WiFi appears and the Ring light goes through the normal sequence. https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

Many users prefer to change the WiFi name to something more personal. (I always set new WiFi systems to exactly match the one they are replacing so that I do not have to go around and reprogram everything.)  In that case, the Orbi needs to be configured.

We old timers on the forum have seen so many complaints about the Orbi "app" that we avoid it.  People who have no problems with the app are not likely to come to the forum and complain, so we may be reacting to a very tiny minority of customers.  No way to know.

As to the NETGEAR41 SSID, that sounds like there is a "non-Orbi" WiFi system nearby.

Message 3 of 7
TaoKao
Aspirant

Update, I found my ethernet dongle and configured my Mac to use DHCP with manual 192.168.1.2.  Saw link but could not browse 192.168.1.1 either via http or https.  Did a reset and saw briefly connectivity.  Removed the paperclip and saw DHCP come up and I could connect to the ORBI.  Screen was to setup new.  I started to go through this but then the reset timed out, the ORBI light went green, and the hard connection went away.  Did this a half dozen times trying to speed run it, got past the check for internet and to select how to configure on my best try.  Progress?

Message 4 of 7
TaoKao
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

As to the NETGEAR41 SSID, that sounds like there is a "non-Orbi" WiFi system nearby.

I can definitely tie the NETGEAR41 to powering on and off the RBR50.  My Satellite is powered down.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

There may be a misconception over how fast things happen when resetting an Orbi.  I just did a Factory Reset on my spare Orbi:

Time 0 seconds - press paperclip into reset hold. Power LED turns Orange immediately, then begins to flash

10 seconds - remove paperclip from reset hole. Power LED turns Green

Ring light on top begins to cycle on/off.  Not "fade", simply on/off.

1:05 Ring light begins to fade on/ fade off

2:40 Ring light turns solid white. (and seems to stay on solid white until I "do something".

Connect ethernet cable (or log into the WiFi using the SSID/password on the product label. I prefer the ethernet cable.)

NOTE: I leave my network adapter on "get an IP address using DHCP.  I do not set a static IP on my computer.

The Orbi's IP will be my "gateway" address.  (Most of the time, this is 192.168.1.1.  In MY case, this Orbi is connected to another Orbi that has already taken 192.168.1.1, so this Orbi decided to use 10.0.0.1)

Open a web browser and connect to http://orbilogin.net  (or, the gateway IP)

IThe screen comes up "For fastest setup...". I ignore that, scroll down to the bottom and click on "If you don't have a compatible smartphone..."

Answer a bunch of questions. Skip satellite setup (do that later) Enter new admin password & security questions. Set up WiFi SSID/password.. ignore registration (done that already). ignore offers..... yada yada yada.

White light remains ON.

There should be NO HURRY.

Message 6 of 7
TaoKao
Aspirant

I am still having problems getting through the process without link dropping and thereby stalling the process.  Going to keep trying but am also going to assume that there is a hardware problem that is root cause.  Time to shop the Wifi v6 routers...  Too bad I cannot salvage the Satelliite RBS70 that would save some money.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7