Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Update to Firmware Version 2.7.2.104

EricToo
Aspirant

RBR50 Update to Firmware Version 2.7.2.104

I attempted to upgrade to Firmware Version 2.7.2.104

The update attempt failed and I could no longer access the router by logging in on my computer.  This occured shortly after the firmware was released, October of 2020 as I remember..  The Netgear tech support team could not fix the issue.

Yesterday I logged into the router from my cellphone app.  A button appeared.  Clicking on it upgraded the firmware to v2.7.2.104. on the router and two satellites.

WOW!

So today I tried to logon from my computer again to see what would happen.  Same problem as before.  I can completed the logon sequence, but could not access the web pages showing router and satellite status (or anything else for that matter).  So I went back to the cellphone and all seemed to be ok.

Currently, the orbi system is functioning normally (just as it was before the upgrade).

Does this behaviot suggest a known orbi RBR50 problem?  Has anyone seen this sort of thing before.  Does it suggest some sort of hardware problem?  So sort of persistent firmware problem?  Something else?  Ca this issue be fixed?  Any suggestions at all about what else, if anythiing, can be done?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
vajim
Master

Re: RBR50 Update to Firmware Version 2.7.2.104

from your post I can't make out if you have a problem or not.

with regard to 2.7.2.104, I would do a search in the forum.  Lots of folks having problems as well as using the app.  Many have dumped the app.  I never use it.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the RBR for 30 seconds then back ON. 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches.

Use IE11, Edge or Firefox to access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com

Last resort is to do a factory reset on the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard with a web browser. 

Avoid using the Orbi app for any FW updates. 

@EricToo wrote:

I attempted to upgrade to Firmware Version 2.7.2.104

The update attempt failed and I could no longer access the router by logging in on my computer.  This occured shortly after the firmware was released, October of 2020 as I remember..  The Netgear tech support team could not fix the issue.

Yesterday I logged into the router from my cellphone app.  A button appeared.  Clicking on it upgraded the firmware to v2.7.2.104. on the router and two satellites.

WOW!

So today I tried to logon from my computer again to see what would happen.  Same problem as before.  I can completed the logon sequence, but could not access the web pages showing router and satellite status (or anything else for that matter).  So I went back to the cellphone and all seemed to be ok.

Currently, the orbi system is functioning normally (just as it was before the upgrade).

Does this behaviot suggest a known orbi RBR50 problem?  Has anyone seen this sort of thing before.  Does it suggest some sort of hardware problem?  So sort of persistent firmware problem?  Something else?  Ca this issue be fixed?  Any suggestions at all about what else, if anythiing, can be done?

Message 3 of 9
vajim
Master

i almost forgot, standby for 1000 questions from those who believe all is well with the firmware such as 2.7.2.104

nice way to spend your day....enjoy

Message 4 of 9
EricToo
Aspirant

Remember.  The Netgear tech support team with escalation could NOT fix the issue.  I coonsider this to be a significant matter because  Netgear advises that no firmware updates be performed using the Netgear app.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 9
vajim
Master

@EricToo wrote:

Remember.  The Netgear tech support team with escalation could NOT fix the issue.  I coonsider this to be a significant matter because  Netgear advises that no firmware updates be performed using the Netgear app.

If only more people here understood that this would be a happier place to exchange ideas and experiences.

Message 6 of 9
alokeprasad
Mentor

@EricToo wrote:

... Netgear advises that no firmware updates be performed using the Netgear app.

Where/how does Netgear say that? 

I happen to agree with it .. but I'm surprised that Netgear would advide that.  They seem to be pushing their smartphone apps in the marketing materials.

Message 7 of 9
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

@EricToo wrote:

... Netgear advises that no firmware updates be performed using the Netgear app.

Where/how does Netgear say that? 

I happen to agree with it .. but I'm surprised that Netgear would advide that.  They seem to be pushing their smartphone apps in the marketing materials.

As long as the app is available they probably will never officially say that.  It comes with the territory.  There's nothing wrong with the concept of an app for they are very popular in todays streaming environment.

IMHO NG may not have devoted enough resources to the app development based on return of investment or a misunderstanding of what the app was intended for.  For me personally I never use the app.  

Message 8 of 9
alokeprasad
Mentor

More the reason for my curiosity about how/when NG said that (per EricToo).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7