Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - Wi-fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration

JWK1969
Aspirant

RBR50 - Wi-fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration

I have an RBR50 system with 1 satellite.  Most of my devices work just fine.  However, two Windows machines connect to the Wi-fi but state there's no internet.  When I go through the troubleshooter, I get the error in the subject.  I have iPhones that have no issues finding the internet, a Mac, and another Windows 10 computer.  But two computers don't seem to work.  I've tried unplugging the modem and routers to reset them, but it has not resolved the issue.  It's getting quite frustrating.  I even set up a "guest" wi-fi that has worked for one computer, but not the other.  However, that makes it impossible for that computer to access a wi-fi connected printer.

Anyone have a solution?  Thanks in advance!

JWK1969

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure the drivers for the wifi adapters in these computers are up to date from the mfr and model# of the wifi adapter. 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@JWK1969 wrote:

I have an RBR50 system with 1 satellite.  Most of my devices work just fine.  However, two Windows machines connect to the Wi-fi but state there's no internet.  When I go through the troubleshooter, I get the error in the subject

Can you capture a screenshot of this error message and attach it? (click on the "Browse" button in the lower left).

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

A little bit of history would be interesting - unclear if this is a new Orbi set-up for example, if these are new Win 10 systems or long time used and recently updated ones.

"Wi-fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration" 

This could indicate a lot of things - could be wireless adapter driver issues, could be Windows went bullocks with it's network detection, could be crappy Internet "security" garbage. but almost certainly it's not an Orbi issue.

First thing (after removing any 3rd party Internet security stuff - and strictly stick with what Microsoft does provide) I would try is to remove the adapter driver via "Device Manager", then locate your wireless device, right-click, and choose Uninstall. If available, check Delete driver software for this device and click OK. Following a reboot, WIndows will install the default drivers again. Worth at this point to fetch the actual drivers from Windows Update, from the computer vendor driver site, and if these are Intel WiFi adapters use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant 

If this does not cure, reset TCP/IP. Search for cmd and run the "Command Prompt" as administrator (mandatory!). Then om the C:\> prompt, execute

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

Close thre cmd window, and reboot.

Message 4 of 7
JWK1969
Aspirant

Here is the dialog box that comes up at the conclusion of the diagnostics.

Message 5 of 7
JWK1969
Aspirant

One of the Windows systems (both are Win10) has been used on the Orbi in the previous installation (I recently moved and have hooked up the Orbi to a new modem/ISP) and there was never an issue.  The other is new to the Orbi system.

And here's a little bit of other odd information. One of the two PCs is my work PC, and when I brought it home and opened the lid (I didn't shut it down) it was able to access the internet just fine, except that Outlook could not send messages.  When I rebooted...it gave me the error again.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If other devices work with the Orbi system and these are the only two that don't, then something on these PCs needs to be looked at. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7