Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 connection issues.

gpeck54
Aspirant

RBR50 connection issues.

Orbi needs to be reset 1 to 4 times a day. It seems to start this after a small power outage or I have turned it off for some reason.

After a couple of weeks it seems to get better until the next episode.

I have done firmware updates and did a factory reset without any results. Also done numerous power recycles with modem.

It may be a coincidence, but these problems seem to have started when i tried the trial version of Armor Security. The month I trialed that it started to be reset everyday. It has continued after the trial and is no longer being used.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Jabberwocky123
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 connection issues.

I have an RBR40 and am running into a similiar issue. For the last week, the router decides to stop working at random intervals. Probably 2-3 times a day. My devices appear to be connected to the network, but they are unable to connect to the internet. When this occurs, I cannot log into the router using either 192.168.1.1 nor can I connect via the mobile app.

This issue affects both wifi and wired connections.

I have not tried doing a factory reset, yet. I will probably try that next. I do have the latest firmware installed.

Please help!

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

@gpeck54 wrote:

Orbi needs to be reset 1 to 4 times a day. It seems to start this after a small power outage or I have turned it off for some reason.

After a couple of weeks it seems to get better until the next episode.

I have done firmware updates and did a factory reset without any results. Also done numerous power recycles with modem.

It may be a coincidence, but these problems seem to have started when i tried the trial version of Armor Security. The month I trialed that it started to be reset everyday. It has continued after the trial and is no longer being used.

Message 3 of 5
gpeck54
Aspirant

I have the current version of Firmware for the Orbi. My modem is a Arris Surfboard SB8200 recommended by Atlantic Broadband which is my cable provider.

WiFi is just a appliance like the refrigerator anymore. If it was not working well I'm sure I would be lost.

I changed everything on your list I could find under Routerlogin advanced settings. I put channel to 11 instead of auto. I enabled Beamforming and MIMO. I disabled Daisy Chain. I couldn't find how to disable the other items. Also i set the preamble to short.

I have had to reset router 3 times in the last 12 hours. Am at a loss.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I would open a support ticket with NG support and ask for additional help and information. Might ask about an RMA as well.

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7