Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 dropping devices

DintyMoore
Aspirant

RBR50 dropping devices

Router appears to be intermittantly dropping devices off the network -seemingly iphones and ipads.   We could be running a Smart TV off the Wifi with no problem, and simultaneously have a handheld device indicate no internet connection.  It appears those devices are getting dropped off the Orbi's Device List.   It requires a reboot of the RBR50 to get them reconnected.

We did do a firmware install over the weekend, but I believe one of the reasons we executed the install was that we were already having the issue.

Please advise.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 dropping devices

@DintyMoore wrote:

Router appears to be intermittantly dropping devices off the network -seemingly iphones and ipads.   We could be running a Smart TV off the Wifi with no problem, and simultaneously have a handheld device indicate no internet connection.  It appears those devices are getting dropped off the Orbi's Device List.   It requires a reboot of the RBR50 to get them reconnected.

We did do a firmware install over the weekend, but I believe one of the reasons we executed the install was that we were already having the issue.

Can you please check the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck the box "Enable Traffic Meter", then Apply.

It's a long, sordid story, but Netgear engineers report there is a programming error in the Traffic Meter feature which results in the Orbi being unable to resolve Domain Names.  When DNS fails to work, many devices conclude that they have no internet connection.

There are at least a dozen posts on the forum regarding this topic.

Message 2 of 3
DintyMoore
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 dropping devices

Thanks.  I've done that and will check off solved if that works.   Aprreciate the response!!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7