Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 dropping wifi often

AMG1978
Tutor

RBR50 dropping wifi often

Had the rbk50 combo since 2017 no issues till now. Running 2.7.2.104 and twice yesterday and twice this morning anyone on wifi couldn’t access the internet. Not sure if they could access lan as I didn’t try. Anyone on Ethernet has zero issue. Power cycle and back online.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 dropping wifi often

@AMG1978 wrote:
Had the rbk50 combo since 2017 no issues till now. Running 2.7.2.104 and twice yesterday and twice this morning anyone on wifi couldn’t access the internet. Not sure if they could access lan as I didn’t try. Anyone on Ethernet has zero issue. Power cycle and back online.

Do you remember when the Orbi updated to 2.7.2.104?

As far as you can tell, the Orbi WiFi signal remained active and devices remained connected to the Orbi WiFi?

Message 2 of 9
AMG1978
Tutor

No idea when the update was done. Sorry. Wifi says connected and strong but you can’t do anything. Ethernet was good to go 100%. I was actually active playing Rust a few times when the wife claimed wifi down and I confirmed it didn’t work but was connecting. Rust never lost my game connection via Ethernet

Next time it happens I hope my wife isn’t on a conf call and I have time to
Troubleshoot it vs needing a quick reboot resolution
Message 3 of 9
AMG1978
Tutor

It happened again a few minutes ago and this time my Ethernet experienced the same issue as wifi.

I confirmed I could ping 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 with 20-30ms response times but could not resolve anything in nslookup which was pointing to the local gateway IP. On the router my dns servers are google now at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Until today they were default from provider so Spectrum / TWC servers.

A reboot in the GUI fixed the issue. After it came online both wifi and Ethernet can resolve and go online properly. Whaaaat? Weird!
Message 4 of 9
AMG1978
Tutor

I am downgrading both rbr and rbs to 2.6.1.40 which is on netgear to download. Will see if it helps
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup fom scratch next time.

Message 6 of 9
AMG1978
Tutor

Confirmed it is related to dns on the router. It stopped working even though router is google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Updates my Ethernet ipv4 setting and it worked. Not a solution.
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your NTP settings set correctly? 

Message 8 of 9
vajim
Master

Get rid of 2.7.2.104

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors