Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 lost power and went solid magenta, reset, still solid magenta

ChrisAttebery
Aspirant

RBR50 lost power and went solid magenta, reset, still solid magenta

Hello,

I've had my Orbi system for a few years and it's been pretty solid, but last night we had a brief power outage and it didn't recover cleanly. It was stuck in solid magenta mode for hours. I plugged my PC directly into the ethernet from the cable modem and that works fine. I tried doing a factory reset but it goes back to solid magenta mode. I cannot see it at 192.168.1.1 from a pc connected directly to it. It's like the ethernet portion of the router is completely bricked. I had this happen a year or so ago and I was able to get it back up and running eventually, but I can't remember how I did it.

For now I'm working with the PC tied directly to my modem and I've turned the RBR50 off.

I'd appreciate your help,

Chris

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.

Try a factory reset on the RBR. Press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Does the top ring blink and pulsate WHITE at all? Can you access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1? 

Message 2 of 5
ChrisAttebery
Aspirant

Hi FURRY,

I don't have any way of confirming what firmware is installed. I can't access the router at all.

The last version of the firmware that I downloaded was 2.7.2.104 on April 25, 2021.

I've tried connecting to it through ethernet and wifi. I've tried disconnecting it from my modem. I tried resetting it twice. I left it powered off for a couple hours and tried resetting it again a third time and got the same result. Each time it will power up with a flashing white light, then it goes solid white for a minute or so, then it goes solid magenta.

I powering off my modem for a minute and then restarted it. I connected my PC directly to the modem with the same cable I had plugged into the router and I've had internet access all day long. 

I'm not a networking expert, but I feel confident that I've eliminated everything but the router itself. 

FWIW: Someone from NetGear reached out to me and started a trouble ticket. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Message 3 of 5
ChrisAttebery
Aspirant

Well, Netgear's support team work with me on Friday night and determined that the router was indeed bricked. I've owned it since 2018 so there was no warranty coverage. I'm not the type to keep throwing good money after bad so I bought a new system from another vendor.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7