Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 not broadcasting full speeds

ErikVB13
Aspirant

RBR50 not broadcasting full speeds

Good Afternoon,

I am reaching out  in hopes of getting an answer here quickly  Short story is I had the mesh system since 2020. We run Service Electric internet 500mbps. We were actively getting 500 service on the mesh system till this past October. I hooked in directly to my router and I see 500mbps. if I am on wifi or hooked direct to the Orbi, I am getting a max of 96mbps now. Its very frustrating and I am stumped.

Firmware says up to date.  We have not added more devices.

Could you offer suggestions?

Thank you!

Erik

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

have you check to see if you're getting a gigabit connection from the gateway? 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

what gateway do you have? 

have you tried replacing the cable between the 2?

Message 2 of 4
ErikVB13
Aspirant

Thank you. I have not tried that at all. To be quite honest I don't even know what you are talking about  (getting a gigabit connection from the gateway? ). I am not a tech person at all but I know enough to get myself in trouble.

Can you explain what you mean or what you are referring to and how I could see that information? 

I have changed cords between the modem and router. That does not seem to change anything.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@ErikVB13 wrote:

Good Afternoon,

I am reaching out  in hopes of getting an answer here quickly  Short story is I had the mesh system since 2020. We run Service Electric internet 500mbps. We were actively getting 500 service on the mesh system till this past October. I hooked in directly to my router and I see 500mbps. if I am on wifi or hooked direct to the Orbi, I am getting a max of 96mbps now. Its very frustrating and I am stumped.

It would help to verify if "my router" and "the Orbi" are the same device. 96mb is a significant number, because it is about the maximum that can be delivered over a 100Mbps Ethernet connection.  This often happens when something has gone wrong with the cable connection between the ISP device and the Orbi.

The way to establish if this is the case is to connect to the Orbi web administration interface by connecting a web browser to http://orbilogin.net as shown on page 20 of the User Manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

The user name is always "admin" and the web administration password was originally "password" but should have been changed during that original setup back in 2020.

Navigate to the Advanced Tab, then click on the blue box "SHOW STATISTICS" inside the "Internet" box:

ShowStats.JPG

Next to the WAN Port should show 1000M/Full.  If it does not, then "something happened" last October to mess up the Ethernet connection.  Perhaps the cable got mangled. Perhaps one of the pins in the Ethernet port (on either end) got bent.  If this is the case, then the Orbi cannot possibly achieve more than 100Mbps across the link.

The quickest solution is to install a brand new Ethernet patch cable and also take a very close look (maybe with a magnifying glass) at the tiny gold wires inside each Ethernet port.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7