Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - rebooting daily after internet via wifi drops

vajim
Master

@BoilerPlate 

Hey Boliler_Flake

You not the forum police  you anywhere near qualified to be, let alone be posting in the forums or givein out information.  Everytime someone posts helpful information you dump and spew pointless duplicated false ane invalid infomation. You badger and troll anyone trying to be helpful to others that are looking for help. Don't let anyone talk about there eperiences in a good way but for you is ok to. Your a complete waste of time and air to anyone in this forum. You must have a sad life to come here an dump on anyone giving help. The communiity is not yours to dump in. Go somewhere else. Stop playing the victim when your completely the instegator. You bring this all to your self. 

NetGear, Please ban this user one and for all!!! Stop this once and for all for community sake! 

@Christian_R 

Message 26 of 52
KoodGarma
Guide

@Doug6392 wrote:
Over 48 hours now (well on the way to 72, actually.) Fingers crossed, but the NTP fix seems to have done the trick.🤞

What is the "NTP fix"? Thanks!

Message 27 of 52
vajim
Master

@KoodGarma wrote:

@Doug6392 wrote:
Over 48 hours now (well on the way to 72, actually.) Fingers crossed, but the NTP fix seems to have done the trick.🤞

Message 28 of 52
vajim
Master

@vajim wrote:

@KoodGarma wrote:

@Doug6392 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken-Short-Term-Fix-Options/m-p/20...

Message 29 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Fix is here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Joining-the-crowd-of-RBR50-RBS50-which-broke-after-firmware/m-...

@KoodGarma wrote:

@Doug6392 wrote:

Message 30 of 52
vajim
Master

Message 31 of 52
KoodGarma
Guide

Thanks!  So just to be clear, the "fix" is to turn off Traffic Meter correct?

Do I need to do anything to do anything under NTP Settings or anything else?

Capture.JPG

Message 32 of 52
vajim
Master

it appears to be a multiple errors to correct

The NTP fix is:

F) Modify NTP Settings:
1-Uncheck the "Automatically adjust for daylight savings time"
2-Change your timezone "east" one hour to accommodate turning off the auto DST.
3-This step is probably optional: Change the NTP server to 1.pool.ntp.org

The traffic meter is another part of the overal problem. If you have it checked, uncheck it

Message 33 of 52
KoodGarma
Guide

THANKS - THE FIX IS ON!!!

Done - Unchecked ☐ Traffic Meter

Done - Unchecked ☐ Automatically adjust for daylight savings time

Done - Set preferred NTP server to 1.pool.ntp.org

Fingers and toes crossed this fixes things until Netgear fixes this in the next firmware update or something.

Message 34 of 52
vajim
Master

@KoodGarma wrote:

THANKS - THE FIX IS ON!!!

Done - Unchecked ☐ Traffic Meter

Done - Unchecked ☐ Automatically adjust for daylight savings time

Done - Set preferred NTP server to 1.pool.ntp.org

Fingers and toes crossed this fixes things until Netgear fixes this in the next firmware update or something.

good luck....I would use the word 'fix' around here carefully.  It might mean something.Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 52
Doug6392
Guide

Too good to be true: just had to reconnect (by turning phone wifi off then back on) twice in the past 30 minutes, while the Google device behind me in the same room kept happily playing on via wifi...
Very frustrating, to say the least.
Message 36 of 52
Doug6392
Guide

Update: as forced reboot of the phone seemed to correct the issue, and nothing else in my network seemed to be amiss, it may be unrelated to the Netgear issues, and might be a Samsung issue. Tech: great when it works!
Message 37 of 52
Bart1968
Aspirant

Dropping internet after (2.7.2.104) firmware.
Have been reading posts:
- NTP to right timezone
- Auto adjust for Daylight savings time unchecked
- Preferred NTP server set to time.nist.gov

Also manually reset RBR50 (running in AP mode -- so no traffic meter to turn off). And manually reset both RBS50 (also running 2.7.2.104).
- Turned everything off 90+ seconds
- Turned Comcast router on first and waited for full connection and then restarted Orbis starting with main unit

Any other ideas ...
- Did notice Dynamic DNS is off but that's factory standard????
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 38 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Do both wired and wireless devices not get internet when this happens?

WiFi on the modem router fully turned off? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Turn OFF the RBS and test the RBR alone. Does it exhibit problems?

Many features are disabled on Orbi when in AP mode. 

@Bart1968 wrote:
Dropping internet after (2.7.2.104) firmware.
Have been reading posts:
- NTP to right timezone
- Auto adjust for Daylight savings time unchecked
- Preferred NTP server set to time.nist.gov

Also manually reset RBR50 (running in AP mode -- so no traffic meter to turn off). And manually reset both RBS50 (also running 2.7.2.104).
- Turned everything off 90+ seconds
- Turned Comcast router on first and waited for full connection and then restarted Orbis starting with main unit

Any other ideas ...
- Did notice Dynamic DNS is off but that's factory standard????

Message 39 of 52
Bart1968
Aspirant

TY for responding.

2 satellites are more than 30 feet away in different directions from RBR

I did notice with Auto adjust for daylight savings unchecked that I needed to go timezone +1 to get proper time.

I no longer have anything wired connected from back of RBR but prior experience was both wireless lost internet connectivity AND anything wired directly to back of RBR
Message 40 of 52
Bart1968
Aspirant

Finally, confirmed that Comcast supplied router has WiFi disabled for both 2.4 and 5
Message 41 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF the RBS and test the RBR alone. Does it exhibit problems?

When this happens, does the top ring LED turn on at all? Pink maybe? 

What happens with DST enabled and set to correct time zone? 

Message 42 of 52
Bart1968
Aspirant

Will test without RBS's and Yes the main RBR (running in AP mode) does turn Pink at top
Message 43 of 52
Bart1968
Aspirant

So turned off power to both RBSs

Have had to restart RBR50 2x. No longer getting pink LEDs at top -. No lights at all for a while and will eventually turn Pink. From iOS device using native wifi sees SSID but says no internet connection. If restart RBR50, get internet connection for a while.

NTP settings Mountain Time with automatically adjust for daylight savings time on. Preferred NTP time.google.com
Message 44 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model# of the isp modem or host router the RBR is connected too in AP mode? 

Seems the maybe the RBR is not getting signal from the host router which is indicated by the PINK led on top. 

Ensure you have a good quality LAN cable in between the RBR and host router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Try the following NTP server:

Uncheck Automatically adjust for daylight savings time

Set preferred NTP server to 1.pool.ntp.org

Try the RBR in router mode and set the DMZ on the host router up for the IP address the RBR gets from the host router. 

Has a factory reset been performed since last update? 

@Bart1968 wrote:
So turned off power to both RBSs

Have had to restart RBR50 2x. No longer getting pink LEDs at top -. No lights at all for a while and will eventually turn Pink. From iOS device using native wifi sees SSID but says no internet connection. If restart RBR50, get internet connection for a while.

NTP settings Mountain Time with automatically adjust for daylight savings time on. Preferred NTP time.google.com

Message 45 of 52
vajim
Master

factory reset = lost passwords

Message 46 of 52
Bart1968
Aspirant

Think I made progress:
- Got pissed because this thing worked flawlessly for the last 6 months in exact same configuration with no change in modem, cable, or drop in my house -- only firmware update
- Went and bought RBR853 thinking it was hardware or firmware issue. Followed instructions and setup to similar configuration with latest firmware to same results. Less drops in router mode (every hour) vs AP mode (every 20 minutes)
- However, was having RBR connect through unmanaged gigabit switch. When moved cable directly to available port on back of cable modem have been up and running all day
- Weird and had thought of a bad switch so I had already replaced the switch with a brand new one however both tp-link. Comcast modem is a Technicolor CGM4331COM hardware rev 2
- So same cable, same location worked 6 months through switch but clearly doesn't now with either the old or new switch. Any chance it's a firmware and switch issue as my workstation and many other devices are on that switch and work fine?
- And looking for advice, will I see material benefit from the RBR850 with 2 satellites over the RBR50 with 2 satellites? Or should I save the $1000
Message 47 of 52
vajim
Master

Only firmware update....where have we heard these words before?

Message 48 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different brand switch like NG? NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems. Keep the RBR directly connected to the modem. Use a switch connected after the RBR or connect the switch behind the modem and don't connect the RBR to the switch. Connect other devices to the switch. 

@Bart1968 wrote:
Think I made progress:
- Got pissed because this thing worked flawlessly for the last 6 months in exact same configuration with no change in modem, cable, or drop in my house -- only firmware update
- Went and bought RBR853 thinking it was hardware or firmware issue. Followed instructions and setup to similar configuration with latest firmware to same results. Less drops in router mode (every hour) vs AP mode (every 20 minutes)
- However, was having RBR connect through unmanaged gigabit switch. When moved cable directly to available port on back of cable modem have been up and running all day
- Weird and had thought of a bad switch so I had already replaced the switch with a brand new one however both tp-link. Comcast modem is a Technicolor CGM4331COM hardware rev 2
- So same cable, same location worked 6 months through switch but clearly doesn't now with either the old or new switch. Any chance it's a firmware and switch issue as my workstation and many other devices are on that switch and work fine?
- And looking for advice, will I see material benefit from the RBR850 with 2 satellites over the RBR50 with 2 satellites? Or should I save the $1000

Message 49 of 52
Bart1968
Aspirant

Thanks

Any thoughts on:
Message 50 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7