Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 rebooting several times during the day

brandon19
Aspirant

RBR50 rebooting several times during the day

I have a pc hard wired to the RBS50 Satellite and lose the connections several times during the day. I also had a NAS attached but moved it to the RBR50 Router. I have changed both wireless channels and enabled Beamforming/MU-MIMO. This just started happening in the last week. I am on firmware V2.2.1.210. The home size is 1950 sqft and the satellite is about 30 ft from the router. I originally thought this was just an issue with the satellite but I am getting alerts that the NAS is still going offline while plugged into the router. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 rebooting several times during the day

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is this only happening with the NAS connected to the Orbi system? Does this happen if you disconnect the NAS from the Orbi system? 

Message 2 of 10
brandon19
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Arris Model: TG1682G
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Router
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration. Not using one.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  2 story 1950 sqft

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Manual Channels 11 on 2.4Ghz and 48 on 5Ghz
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? I can see 3 wifi networks. 

Is this only happening with the NAS connected to the Orbi system? Does this happen if you disconnect the NAS from the Orbi system? I just now confirmed its not the Router and only the Satellite restarting. NAS is attached to the router now. 

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Set up a reserved IP address for the satellite ON the router. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Your ISP modem has a built in router already FYI.

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 4 of 10
Chuck_M
Mentor

Can you estimate how many times a day it is going off line?

Always at about the same time?

How many hours between each drop?

Message 5 of 10
Chuck_M
Mentor

Your modem is a router and a telephone gateway

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000TnNmSAAV&c=Touchstone

You need to either bridge that modem or use Orbi In AP mode.

I presume you use telephones through this modem?

Message 6 of 10
brandon19
Aspirant

Yes the modem is in bridge with the Orbi in router. I setup a static route to the satellite and haven't had an issue for the rest of the day. I will post again tomorrow if it continues. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

How was this configured? Just curious. 

@brandon19 wrote:

Yes the modem is in bridge with the Orbi in router. I setup a static route to the satellite and haven't had an issue for the rest of the day. I will post again tomorrow if it continues. 

Message 8 of 10
brandon19
Aspirant

If you login to the Arris modem under LAN Settings you change the NAT mode to: Bridged (Data will pass through the device directly without any routing)

The Wireless setting on this Arris modem has been disabled due to me not paying Spectrum for the added wireless service. 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ok, yes, there is bridge mode for some Arris modems. Thank you for confirming this. 

This is recommended for use with Orbi systems with ISP modems with built in routers. Or use the modem in router mode and configure the Orbi in AP mode. 

Enjoy. 

@brandon19 wrote:

If you login to the Arris modem under LAN Settings you change the NAT mode to: Bridged (Data will pass through the device directly without any routing)

The Wireless setting on this Arris modem has been disabled due to me not paying Spectrum for the added wireless service. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7