Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 replacement

mgdurand1
Luminary

RBR50 replacement

I have used my Orbi system with very few problems for 2 years and 6 months.  Had a 2 year warranty so of course the dropouts started soon after the warrarnty died.  I used multiple RBS50 satellites and so I wanted to see what newer unit would pair with them.  The Pro does not apparently.  So I started looking for a new RBR50 to replace my existing one.  Can't find one.  I do find the RBK50.  So, my quesiton is, if I do decide that the current dropouts cannot be dealt with (and a l ot of people are seeming to have that happen) and I opt to try the hardware route, will a new RBK50 pair with my RBS50 satellites?  Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets see if it's actually a hardware or configuration issue first.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since updating to v60? 

Message 2 of 19
mgdurand1
Luminary

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  Am implementing the suggestions in stages.  Will see if that lessens or hopefully solves the dropouts.  Again, thanks for the suggesitons.

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Please give feedback to questions presented. 

Message 4 of 19
mgdurand1
Luminary

Hey.  Have tried all but the final suggesiton (to reset to factory defaults).  I may or may not give that a try as given everything else I've tried I am not sure how that would help.  I had recently purchased Armos and the problems really started after that.  Can't imagine how that would affect things but may disable it to see if that helps.  If not will likely try a new router.  The RBK50 is for sale and I read or was informaed that it will pair with my existing satellites.  Thanks, and will keep you posted.

Mike

Message 5 of 19
mgdurand1
Luminary

OK.  Did the factory reset.  Did not reenable Armor as part of the troubleshooting.  Worked for about 5 hours (I am keeping the TV on to stream to test things).  Then the same problem.  However, when I reset the channel for 2.4 to 10 from the 6 I had reset it to we got back the bandwidth and the internet fine without rebooting the router, which is a first.  I am going to keep testing until I am sure that it can only logically be the router.  Will keep oyu advised as requested.  Thanks for the help.

Message 6 of 19
mgdurand1
Luminary

The verdict is in.  I think it has ot be the router.  I have tried all the suggesitons sent.  Just finished the factory reset.  Same problem.  After we stream some video we lose the internet conneciotn.  Same setup for 2 years and never had this problem.  Router is 2 years 6 months old, and my routers usually go bad after 2 - 3 years.  So will get a new RBK model and hope that solves the problem.  Thanks for all the suggestions!

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 7 of 19
mgdurand1
Luminary

OK.  Had one more thought.  Downgraded the firmware to the previous version of the satellites and then the router.  Was at .60 and now at .48.  Will wait to see if the internet drops on this firmware.  If it does will go pick up the new router and give that a try.  It is holds I will let you know.

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Let us know how it goes wth v48 FW. 

When you upgraded to v60, did you use the RBR web page and after the update, continue or did you factory reset and setup from scratch right after v60 was applied? 

Message 9 of 19
mgdurand1
Luminary

OK.  The downgrade to the .48 firmware is working fine so far.  18 hours straight and no loss of signal with the ocmpeter and TV on constantly.  I do not have Armor activated and that is my next step in troubleshooting. I think it crashed with .60 with Armor disabled so I do not tihnk that will be an issue.  Very pleased as was not enthused about 300 dollars for another router after 2 1/2 years.  Will keep oyu advised.  Thanks for all the help and the support.

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

When you upgraded to v60, did you use the RBR web page and after the update, continue or did you factory reset and setup from scratch right after v60 was applied? 

Message 11 of 19
mgdurand1
Luminary

No.  did straight update of the sats and the router.  Did not do reset and start over from scratch.  Did that after the FW was installed and no joy.  

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

Message 13 of 19
mgdurand1
Luminary

Well, looks like reverting to the previous firmware did the trick for me.  Reintroduced Armor last night and still up and running.  No dropped internet connection for over 24 hours.  All satellites staying connected.  Will cancel the new router I had waiting at Best Buy as it seems that it is not hardware that was the problem but the new firmware.  Will advise if any changes.  

Thanks for the help!

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 19
mgdurand1
Luminary

Orbi, thou art a cruel mistress.  After 2 days dropped the signal again and had to reboot.  I think it is now clear that it is the router.  Off to Best Buy tomorrow and a redo.  Thanks for all the help!  Will advise if the new router does the trick.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 19
mgdurand1
Luminary

Said I would advise if new router did the trick.  It did not.  Returned it and disabled Armor.  That has done the trick.  No drops in 5 days.  Bitdefender was kind enoough to refund my annual subscription after I went through my issues with them.  Good idea, but needs work IMHO.  Thanks to all here for the help.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like there is a problem with the security apps on Orbi. Glad you got a refund. 

Please make a comment post about this experience with those security apps here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Hopefully NG can get these issues fixed. 

Good Luck. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7