Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 says not connected to Internet but I am still online

gburra63
Aspirant

RBR50 says not connected to Internet but I am still online

Hello, I have an RBR50 with 4 satellites attached to it. The RBR50 connects to my broadband modem. I am able to go online without any problems. However, when I go to the Orbi tool, I get the error message as below

gburra63_0-1651725271637.png

I have reset the Orbi router (and the satellites) completely and re setup the system but still no luck. 

Any help is most appreciated. 

Thanks,

Gangadhar Burra

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 says not connected to Internet but I am still online

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway are you connected to? You can frequently get that error if setup in a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad

Message 3 of 9
gburra63
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. 

If it were a double NAT, I don't understand how I am actually able to be on-line - in other words, wouldn't that prevent me from getting internet access due to the two NAT's fighting each other? 

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

When you're in a double nat, some people experience different issues. Usually you're still online but the process that checks if you're online, doesn't function properly. Thats why you're online but not showing as online (usually)

Message 5 of 9
gburra63
Aspirant

Hi again, sorry for the bother, but I am still not able to resolve this. Here is my set up

Xfinity modem that is NOT in Bridge mode (the wifi on this modem has been shut off) --> This is the one that is eventually connecting to the outside world (and so is not in Bridge mode)

Connected via ethernet to RBR50 that is in Router mode to which I have 4 satellites (2 RBW30, 1 RBS50 and 1RBV40) connected via mesh. The firmware on the RBR50 is current (v2.7.3.22)

I have completely reset my Orbi system and re-configured it again (twice). I am still getting the same issue

I am failing to see where the NAT conflict is. In other words, there is only one place - am i right? 

Thanks again for all the help.

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

shutting off wifi doesn't disable router mode. It still leaves you in a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 7 of 9
gburra63
Aspirant

Hi, Thank you for the patient replies. I managed to solve it - turns out it was not a double NAT (or so I think) at all, but rather I had turned up the "firewall" on the Xfinity modem to "high" - so, it was allowing some/most internet traffic through but was not allowing the router to "connect" to the internet. 

Turning the modem firewall down to minimum but setting the firewall on Orbi to be high seems to have solved the issue. 

Thanks again,

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

that firewall issue? is because the 2 routers both in router mode. One just happened to be blocking. Its a potential issue when using more than 1 router in router. Again, a double nat. Its one of the reasons its not recommended. Its fixed but you could run into issues with other services. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7