Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 wired connection slow.

sbalikian
Tutor

RBR50 wired connection slow.

So I just got 900 Mbps download service.  20 upload.  Got a new cable modem.  I'm on Xfinity with a Motorola MB8611.  Cable connects to the MB8611, then connect that to the RBR50 and have a wired connection from my desktop to the RBR50.  The Orbi app shows wireless speeds in the 900 range.  When I run a speed test on my desktop, I'm showing around 85 mbps which is slower than before the upgrayedd.  When I connect my dekstop directly to the modem and bypass the RBR50, I show speeds of 900 mbps.  So the cable from the desktop is fine.  The ethernet card on the desktop is fine.  And because when the modem is connected to the RBR50 and the wifi speeds are 900mbps that cable is fine.  It's also the brand new cable that came with the MB8611 and is rated for gigbit.  So I just don't know.  Any ideas?  thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
sbalikian
Tutor

Re: RBR50 wired connection slow.

You know, I think it's probably fine.  I made some changes to use IPv6 and auto detect.  Then I turned off traffic meter which I think I had read somewhere might affect it.  Using the google speed test I slowly inch up to 350Mbps, but using Ookla's, it's showing 900+ Mbps.  so I'd say I got this squared away.  thanks

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can check the wan port to see which isn't connecting at gigabit speeds (wan or lan port)

.How do I display Internet port statistics on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Figure out which one isn't connecting at gigabit and replace the cable with a good quality cat 6 cable

Message 2 of 6
sbalikian
Tutor

They all show they are connecting at 1000M/Full - WAN, LAN1, LAN3 (nothing connected to LAN2).  

As I said, if I use the same cat6 cable connected to my desktop and connect it to the modem, I get 900 Mbps speeds.  But using that same cable connected to the Orbi RBR50, I get a fraction of that.  Thanks for this info, though.  It was helpful

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

have you tried a different wired device? 

What speed do you get over 5ghz?

Message 4 of 6
sbalikian
Tutor

You know, I think it's probably fine.  I made some changes to use IPv6 and auto detect.  Then I turned off traffic meter which I think I had read somewhere might affect it.  Using the google speed test I slowly inch up to 350Mbps, but using Ookla's, it's showing 900+ Mbps.  so I'd say I got this squared away.  thanks

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

yeah, the speedtest sites don't always pick the best server either. 

glad you got it resolved!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7