Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 wired is 750+Mbps, Wireless is 8Mbps - any ideas?

Cidion
Tutor

RBR50 wired is 750+Mbps, Wireless is 8Mbps - any ideas?

I have an RBR50 Router.

Gigabit plugged into the router. One Desktop plugged into the RBR50. That's reading around 750Mbps with Speedtest app.

My wireless devices, (iphone, ipad, MacBook Pros) all are getting between 7 and 10Mpbs.

That sucks. I've tried resetting the router, seemed to improve that for a few min, then back to slow wifi.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Depending upong device support and handling, some devices may not see fast speeds. Most newer ones should see. Ranging from 100Mb to 400Mb depending again on device HW and what it's was designed to handle. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 7
Cidion
Tutor

I should clarify that this was not always the case. Usually I got good wireless 400-500Mb, and wired. 600-800Mb

I've looked at these recomendations from other posts but didn't seem to have any improvement. But I'll answer here too. 

- I don't know the modem because it's fiber to the house. So there's an ONT on the outside. EPB is the provider.

- I'm assuming Router mode. Don't know how to check that.

- 100Mb is 10x what i'm currently seeing on an iPhone and Macbook pro.

- 600 square feet home.

- This is just the router.

- Tried Auto, 1, 11, etc. all same result.

- Using WPA2

I have a question. Does anyone have ideas of why it would change from working fine, to not working fine?

Are there automatic updates that happen that change settings on their own?

Message 3 of 7
Cidion
Tutor

I did a full rest on the router and now my speed is up to 500 on the Macbook, and 400 on the iPhones which is pretty awesome. (still 800 on the wired computer)

I compared the 'new' restored settings to what I could remember of the old settings and couldn't see anything. I'm sure there are changes, but not sure what those are since I didn't write down every last one. 

Personally, I remember years ago when you needed to reboot your router every 24-48hrs to keep things running. I started using Apple routers and that changed to needing to reboot 12-24months...maybe. Now that Apple's routers are not sold or supported I decided to go with the new hotness. (Looked at Orbi or other mesh network routers) This weeks experience makes me sad and long for the old days of customer support that lasted after 90 days, and the distinct need to not need it.

I'm glad to have fixed this so easily (only took the better part of a day) but I'm fearful that it'll just happen again. 

I also realize that people probably have no problems with Orbi stuff at all, and recognize the problems with generalizing. However my personal experience is my only one. 😃

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You should set up IP address reservations ON the router for your devices. 

Also set wifi channels from Auto to manual as suggested before. 

Ensure Beamforming is enabled. MIMO and FAST Roaming don't need to be. Test these as you see fit. 

Besure that you don't enabled QoS, Traffic Meter or Access Controls as these will slow speeds on a 1Gb service. 

After you set up the router and system, do a Backup of the router to file. Save this file for later use if you need to factory reset the router. Saves time on setup after the reset. 

Enjoy. 

Message 5 of 7
Cidion
Tutor

Now it's back to 2Mbps maybe 4.

Anyone know if this is a common problem? It's been ok for 3-4 months. This only started a couple of weeks ago I think.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ONT? 

I would download the FW file for the RBR and re-load FW. Then do a full factory reset and setup from scratch...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7