× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 with one RBS50 fast wired, slow wireless

drfrink24
Aspirant

RBR50 with one RBS50 fast wired, slow wireless

Here is my setup:

RBR50 firmware version V2.3.5.30

RBS50 firmware version V2.3.5.30

4000 sq/ft house on acreage lots, with only my devices visible (maybe very weak signals from neighbors occasionally)

RBS50 connected via Ethernet backhaul

Router Mode

Daisy Chaining disabled

I updated Router and Sat to the latest firmware before even using them, fresh out of the box.

RBR50 speed test shows 285M download, 150M upload.  Physically connected devices get same speeds.

5Ghz devices get between 70Mbps and 110Mbps, inches/feet LOS from either the RBR50 or RBS50.  WifiAnalyzer shows -32dB signal strength.

2.4Ghz devices get less.

Uploads are faster than downloads over wifi

Tried all combos of WMM, implicit beamforming, fast roaming, etc.. can't get past 1/2 of my wired speeds.

RBS50 is only 15 feet from RBR50, but there is about a -20dB drop between the two of them.  I did unplug the RBS50 and tested without it, no improvement.

Any ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 with one RBS50 fast wired, slow wireless

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What wireless devices are you speed testing with? 

Install WiFi Sweet Spots on your wireless device then turn OFF the wifi radio. Go hear the RBS first and then turn on the wifi radio. Open the wifi sweet spots app and run the test to see the connect rate between the mobile device and rbs. Do same thing with the mobile device tested near the RBR. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM should be enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 13
drfrink24
Aspirant

I'll try those suggestions.  Devices that I've tested from/on;

Mutlipe speed test apps and browser (dslreports I use alot)

Galaxy S9

ipad (all current gens)

intel/micro PC

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 13
drfrink24
Aspirant

Connection rate in the Sweet Spot is 585 Mbps.

But now that I see what Sweet Spot really is, I was already using WifiAnalyzer (similar/same functions) and it will show as strong as 866 Mbps.. and speed tests still test out at 100 Mbps tops.

I only have 2 signals detected on the 5ghz band, both are from the Orbi R and S.  Both are 48(42).

I have 3 signals detected on the 2.4ghz band, two from the Orib R and S, and one from a Roku device that follows the same channels.  Powering off the Roku device doesn't improve the tests.

I have 25 other devices connected (but idle), however, I did rename the access point (to drop all the clients) and again.. no improvement. 

I'm hundreds of feet from anyone else.

Also, those setting changes didn't have any impact to the test results.

Message 5 of 13
drfrink24
Aspirant

Downgraded to older FW...  Didn't help.  

I think I might do a factory reset just for giggles.  Despite showing as high as an 866 Mbps link speed on two different apps, I just can't get past 90 Mbps.

I did do an internal file transfer between my Wired NAS and Wireless Win10 Laptop.. 144 Mbps transfer rates at the peak.

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, try a factory reset and setup from scratch with just the RBR. After getting it setup. Try a speed test on your mobile device. You should be seeing to ISP spec speeds at the RBR. Be sure to not enable any QoS, Traffic Meter, Circle or Armor on the RBR. 

Message 7 of 13
drfrink24
Aspirant

Alright.. no improvement.

Factory reset, setup with the default SSD.  Only 1 wireless device attached (my phone), 12 inches from the AP connected at 866 Mbps;

90 Mbps download max.

I don't get it...

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if your orbi system is just fault. If you have tried other FW and done factory resets and not getting any fast wifi speeds, something is wrong with the system. 

And your devices test out fine at other locations or with other wifi routers? 

Message 9 of 13
drfrink24
Aspirant

Welp...

Returned my Orbi system in exchange for another, now I have the v2 (no USB, etc..).  System self-updated to the latest firmware.

I setup just the RBR, with a new SSID (so there would be only 1 device connecting, my Galaxy S9).

100 Mbps wifi downloads, Wired is 324 down, 150 up.

However, I was able to get 240 Mbps using the Netflix www.fast.com test.

Internal file transfers to my Samba server still cap out at 100 Mbps over wifi.

I'm convinced that the Orbi and/or my Fiber Router from my ISP are somehow implementing QoS rules that are not allowing full speeds to preserve bandwidth "fairness".

So now I'll have to decide which I return;  The V2 or the V1.

Oddly enough, the V2 has a smaller powersupply, 1 less AMP than the V1.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Hows is this Samba server connected? 

What is the server? PC or device? 

Whats it's connection rate? 

Sounds like changing the Orbi system out didn't change anything. Possible issue with wireless devices or this server...

Message 11 of 13
drfrink24
Aspirant

Right, which is why it has to be either the fiber gateway (somehow) or the Orbi system itself.

The Samba server is wired, 1Gbps link.  Wired to wired it transfers @ 900+ Mbps.

Message 12 of 13
drfrink24
Aspirant

Oh.. forgot to mention;  On initial install, neither the Samba server (nor anything on my wired network) was connected to the Orbi router.  

S9 > Orbi > ethernet on WAN port > Calix home gateway.

That's it.  Orbi showed 1 device connected, my S9, and it tested @ 100Mbps.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7