Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50V2. firmware update issues

ron111157
Aspirant

RBR50V2. firmware update issues

I have a RBR50V2 router

1 RBS50V2 satellite

1 RBS50 satellite

Currenty have version 2.5.2.4 on all

Tried a online update and got "no new firmware version available".   however....

the web site says the newest version is 2.7.1.60. I never received notice of ANY new updates and none auto updated.

I know orbi does not like skipping updates so i downloaded 2.7.0.70 and 2.7.1.60 and tried to update (satellite first) in order but i get the following when updating manually  "firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

So I'm stuck and can't update online or manually.  

Ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ron111157
Aspirant

Re: RBR50V2. firmware update issues

Ok after a long tedious process I am updated to version 2.7.2.102 !!

First.  The Orbi is retail and in Router mode

I use Apple and either a Chrome and/or Safari browser. 

problem #1  a brainfart

When I downloaded the firmware update I did not realize a separate file was embedded in the  release notes. One for the router and one for the satellite.  My bad

problem #2

Once I knew that i manually updated (satellite, satellite, router) twice. One for each or the previous updates until I was current with 2.1.7.60. a loooong process!  Then the system notified me the latest update was available and I was able to online update it.  Now I'm current.

Of course this made the system a little unstable. Satellites dropping in and out and several items yet to be discovered.  I am confident with a little time it will settle and be fine.

One thing I did notice was for a short time the Satellites were daisy chaining back to the router. Is that a new feature?  In the past each satellite always connected to the router direct.

Never satellite-to-satellite-to-router. 

Thanks for the help! 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes NG doesn't put some versions up on there auto update servers so sometimes you have to check the NG support page. 

You can manually download and manually update FW to v60 if you wish using a wired PC and web browser. 

FYI, v2.7.x versions are for only US region users. 

Message 2 of 10
ron111157
Aspirant

I originally tried version .60 and got the same message.

I have downloaded 4 versions from the NG download page

and 2.7.2.102 

I have tried all with the same results

I am in the US region

they don't show .102 in the current version section but it is shown above in top support articles and does say it is for the RBR50/RBS50

Message 3 of 10
ron111157
Aspirant

Added. also I am on a wired computer not the app.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your Orbi a Retail unit or possible something you got from an ISP? 

What browser are you using? Try IE11, Edge for Firefox. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 10
ron111157
Aspirant

problem #1  a brainfart

When I downloaded the firmware update I did not realize a separate file was embedded in the  release notes. One for the router and one for the satellite.  My bad

problem #2

Once I knew that i manually updated (satellite, satellite, router) twice. One for each or the previous updates until I was current with 2.1.7.60. a loooong process!  Then the system notified me the latest update was available and I was able to online update it.  Now I'm current.

Of course this made the system a little unstable. Satellites dropping in and out and several items yet to be discovered.  I am confident with a little time it will settle and be fine.

One thing I did notice was for a short time the Satellites were daisy chaining back to the router. Is that a new feature?  In the past each satellite always connected to the router direct.

Thanks for the help! 

Message 7 of 10
vajim
Master

@ron111157 wrote:

Currenty have version 2.5.2.4 on all

Tried a online update and got "no new firmware version available".   however....

the web site says the newest version is 2.7.1.60. I never received notice of ANY new updates and none auto updates 

Mine did the same but unlike you I stopped and went about my day.   No need to look for trouble 

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@ron111157 wrote:

problem #1  a brainfart

problem #2

Thanks for the help! 

Message 9 of 10
vajim
Master

I'm glad you had a positive experience 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos