Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50v1 vs RBR50v2

jhoff909
Apprentice

RBR50v1 vs RBR50v2

Anyone know the difference between the RBR50 and the RBR50v2?  I can see that the original has a USB port and the v2 does not but is there anything else?

Also, can they interoperate?  I have an RBR50v2 and an RBS50v2 - I assume I can add an RBS50v1?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50v1 vs RBR50v2

@jhoff909 wrote:

Anyone know the difference between the RBR50 and the RBR50v2?  I can see that the original has a USB port and the v2 does not but is there anything else?

Also, can they interoperate?  I have an RBR50v2 and an RBS50v2 - I assume I can add an RBS50v1?

Besides the USB port, the v2 router has less storage.  No one has ever mentioned problems connecting a v1 satellite to a v2 router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@jhoff909 wrote:

Besides the USB port, the v2 router has less storage.  No one has ever mentioned problems connecting a v1 satellite to a v2 router.

Message 2 of 6
jhoff909
Apprentice

So there are no pluses to the V2?  I'm looking for an RBS50 - if I have the opportunity to buy a V1 RBR50/RBS50 pair for a decent price, it might be worth it to swap out my RBR50v2?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

IF yoru wanting the V1 for the USB port and USB drive functionality, v1 doesn't support USB drives on the USB port FYI. Not alot you can do with the USB port. Smiley Frustrated 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@jhoff909 wrote:

So there are no pluses to the V2?  I'm looking for an RBS50 - if I have the opportunity to buy a V1 RBR50/RBS50 pair for a decent price, it might be worth it to swap out my RBR50v2?

I see no value in swapping out the router just to get a USB port unless you are a geek like me who enjoys capturing an entire day of LAN/WAN traffic to a USB stick.  I bought a used router on eBay to experiment with and now I wish that I had bought a "set".  Satellites are MUCH harder to find used than routers.

Message 5 of 6
jhoff909
Apprentice

Yes, and the satellites are IMO too expensive 😞  I see a set on ebay that's cheap at the moment - cheaper than an individual satellite although there's a comment from the seller:

Orbi Rbr50 Royter W/ Rbs50 Satellite . Condition is Used. I can’t get the satellite to sync when I plugged it in. New place has built in WiFi so I don’t need this anymore. Might be an easy fix for someone who is tech savvy. Router works perfectly.

If it's cheap enough, it's worth the risk (currently $46).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7