Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50v2 Dropping Connection

joe43wv
Aspirant

RBR50v2 Dropping Connection

For the last week my RBR50v2 keeps dropping internet for no known reason. I have one satellite connected and the signal strength is strong. I've read through the forums and it appears this is a known issue with this model. It is running the current firmware. I did notice in one post where they mentioned trying to telnet into the router to change some settings. I went to the debug page but did not see where to enable telnet. Any thoughts on what I can adjust to make it stable?

Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50v2 Dropping Connection

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Please review the Recommendations under this main post page to see if there is any solutions do what your seeing as well. I see a few that are checked as resolved. No telnet needed. 

Message 2 of 19
joe43wv
Aspirant

UPDATE: The Satellite is about 45' away from the base station, shows Good 5Ghz Strength on the dashboard. I've tried all of the settings you recommended and the issue has gotten worse. Are there any other solutions to try before contacting support for a replacement unit?

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the top ring on the RBR turning on when this happens? if so, what color is it? 

Do both wired and wireless devices loose connection? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 4 of 19
joe43wv
Aspirant

I turned off the auto channels and it actually made the issue worse. I'm going to perform a factory reset to see if that resolves the issue. Will update with results.

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

OK. Please give feedback to the question presented. Helps us out. 

Message 6 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@joe43wv wrote:

For the last week my RBR50v2 keeps dropping internet for no known reason. I have one satellite connected and the signal strength is strong. I've read through the forums and it appears this is a known issue with this model. It is running the current firmware. I did notice in one post where they mentioned trying to telnet into the router to change some settings. I went to the debug page but did not see where to enable telnet. Any thoughts on what I can adjust to make it stable?

The latest firmware version, V2.7.3.22, removed enabling telnet from the debug page.  There is a Python hack to enable telnet, but I am unaware of anything that could be done with telnet to affect this sort of problem.

Can you provide a little more description of what is happening?  Such as:

• Did this begin when the router firmware was updated?
    (most users do not check constantly for which firmware is running, so you may not have been aware when it updated)
  • How often does this interruption happen?
  • Does it "fix itself" after a certain length of time?
    (how long?), or
  • Is the only way to regain internet connection to  reboot the router?
  • Does this interrupt both wired and WiFi connections?
  • Does the WiFi signal continue to function, but devices report "no internet"?
  • Have you attempted to determine whether internet is "totally gone", or the problem is that DNS queries are failing?
    (open a command window and then try to 'ping' a web site first by its URL and then by its actual IP address, such as
    ping ford.com  and, if that fails ping 136.2.49.37

One troubleshooting tactic often employed  is to manually load a previous firmware version on the Orbi router.  Firmware V2.7.3.22 frustrates this practice because the router will automatically update to V2.7.3.22 again

Message 7 of 19
joe43wv
Aspirant

The factory reset and the settings adjustment did not resolve the issue. The internet stayed on for approximately 30 minutes and then goes back out. It does it MULTIPLE times a day. The wireless and hard wired stops working completely. The wifi completely goes away and then comes back, the hardwired can't even ping the router. The only way to get the issue resolved is by rebooting the router and satellite. It is currently running the most current firmware, but it started a couple of weeks before the latest firmware was installed.
Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering this would be of any help:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Missing-Connected-Devices/m-p/2142349/highlight/true#M126110

@joe43wv wrote:
The factory reset and the settings adjustment did not resolve the issue. The internet stayed on for approximately 30 minutes and then goes back out. It does it MULTIPLE times a day. The wireless and hard wired stops working completely. The wifi completely goes away and then comes back, the hardwired can't even ping the router. The only way to get the issue resolved is by rebooting the router and satellite. It is currently running the most current firmware, but it started a couple of weeks before the latest firmware was installed.

Message 9 of 19
joe43wv
Aspirant

After contacting Netgear support, they said since it wasn't a hardware issue, that I would have to pay $89.99 for premium support. I passed and just loaded the mentioned firmware. I'll report back my findings.

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 11 of 19
joe43wv
Aspirant

Update: Everything has been running smooth except the issue reared it's ugly head again this afternoon.

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the top ring on the RBR turning on when this happens? if so, what color is it? 

Do both wired and wireless devices loose connection? 

Message 13 of 19
joe43wv
Aspirant

I've tried two different modems with two different ISP. One Arris modem on Suddenlink Cable and one Netgear modem on Frontier DSL. The oval ring on the satellite turns amber, the oval ring on the main router doesn't change color, just dark, however the power light on the back is still green. Both wired and wireless devices lose connection. The wireless SSID disappears and the hard wired connections won't even receive DHCP addresses. I've tried both auto and manual settings before and nothing changes.

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you verify that the RBR has same FW version loaded as the RBR? 

Message 15 of 19
joe43wv
Aspirant

Yes, both running the same version of firmware.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you temporarily move the RBS to same room or near the RBR and see if the top ring turn amber or blue then off? 10-15 feet should work here. 

Message 17 of 19
joe43wv
Aspirant

RBS stays Magenta because when the RBR goes "offline", the RBR stops broadcasting the wireless signal and doesn't even hand out DHCP addresses when hardwired.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried manually re-loading v104 on the RBS and RBR with a wired PC and after the FW has loaded on units are back to ready, factory reset and setup from scratch. I would re-sync the RBS the after it's connected, turn it OFF and just work with the RBR. 

Possible your RBR is faulty...

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7