Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS 50 with pulsing white light

vsmith30
Guide

RBS 50 with pulsing white light

I have   an Orbi RBR 50 with 2 satellites RBS 50) that has worked great for several years.  Recently, when doing an auto update, one of the satellites became stuck with a continuously pulsing white light.   I talked to tech support and they had me do several steps in an attempt to reset it.  Then I was told that the problem was uncorrectible.  I decided before I pitch the satellite, that I would check to see if anyone possibly had a solution.  BTW, I did try to directly attach the satellite to my computer with an ethernet cable (192.168.1.1 but was unable to connect.  Is my satellite a brick?  I'm not too tech savy.  Thanks in advance for any response(s).

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS 50 with pulsing white light

@vsmith30 wrote:

Recently, when doing an auto update, one of the satellites became stuck with a continuously pulsing white light.

Amazed that you were able to talk to tech support. Netgear provides only 90 days of 'complimentary support' with a purchase.  After that, it costs to call them.

Did they have you perform a Factory Reset?  i.e. unbend a paperclip and stick the end into the tiny 'Reset' hole on the back next to the power button. Hold it in until the power LED turns Orange and begins to flash.

Connecting a computer directly to the satellite is part of a process called "Flashing Firmware", which is a little complicated.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

The key steps are

• Downloading the correct firmware and extracting the *.img file from the *.zip file
  • Loading a TFTP program on your computer
  • Setting your computer to a static IP address
  • Getting the TFTP program configured and ready to send
  • Pressing the power button on the satellite and then 'send' on the TFTP program
    (I find the timing really tricky.  If I click send too soon, the satellite is not ready to listen for the TFTP server. If I want too long, the satellite will have quit listening and I've missed the opportunity.  One time, it took me six tries to get the firmware to flash.)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@vsmith30 wrote:

Recently, when doing an auto update, one of the satellites became stuck with a continuously pulsing white light.

Amazed that you were able to talk to tech support. Netgear provides only 90 days of 'complimentary support' with a purchase.  After that, it costs to call them.

Did they have you perform a Factory Reset?  i.e. unbend a paperclip and stick the end into the tiny 'Reset' hole on the back next to the power button. Hold it in until the power LED turns Orange and begins to flash.

Connecting a computer directly to the satellite is part of a process called "Flashing Firmware", which is a little complicated.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

The key steps are

• Downloading the correct firmware and extracting the *.img file from the *.zip file
  • Loading a TFTP program on your computer
  • Setting your computer to a static IP address
  • Getting the TFTP program configured and ready to send
  • Pressing the power button on the satellite and then 'send' on the TFTP program
    (I find the timing really tricky.  If I click send too soon, the satellite is not ready to listen for the TFTP server. If I want too long, the satellite will have quit listening and I've missed the opportunity.  One time, it took me six tries to get the firmware to flash.)

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If you reset the RBS and leave it for 5 minutes with a wired PC connected to it, if it's in stable state, you can access the RBS web page at 192.168.1.250. 

Message 3 of 5
vsmith30
Guide

Thanks for your help.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
vsmith30
Guide

Thanks for your assistance.  I signed-up for paid support from  Netgear to help with the problem.  After about 15 minutes I was told that the satellite was toast and I might as well toss it.  I later called back to complain because I felt the tech wasn't too interested in solving my issue.  They did refund my purchase price.  I bought a new system and took my RBR50 and two satellites to my second home.  A few weeks ago, I went through the steps you suggested, the satellite began working has continued to work without any issues.  Again, thank you so much for your advice.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7