Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS20 satellite required - no stock

MickC1
Aspirant

RBS20 satellite required - no stock

Hi all,

I have the standard Orbi RBS20 system. 1 Router 1 Satalite.

I want to add 2 more satalites and use cat 6 backhaul. 

Unfortunately, there is no RBS20 stock availble.

So my question is will the newer satalites ie RBK853 be compatable with the system.

If no what can I do?

Thanks

MickC1 

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS20 satellite required - no stock

@MickC1 wrote:

Hi all,

I have the standard Orbi RBS20 system. 1 Router 1 Satalite.

I want to add 2 more satalites and use cat 6 backhaul. 

Unfortunately, there is no RBS20 stock availble.

So my question is will the newer satalites ie RBK853 be compatable with the system.

If no what can I do?

This is correct: stock of the original Orbi satellites is almost non-existent.  One product that IS available is the Orbi Voice RBS40V, which Amazon is selling for $100. (Perhaps as a way to coax more people into Amazon's "Alexa ecosystem" - who knows?)

You could double check that someone has verified that the RBS40V works with ethernet backhaul by posting in the Orbi Voice community forum: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Voice-WiFi-Meets-HiFI/bd-p/en-home-orbi-voice 

It is pretty clear that the newer WiFi6 satellites are not compatible with WiFi backhaul to the original Orbi products.  Whether they will work over ethernet backhaul is a question that could be posted in the AX community forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

Like you, I needed another satellite and the RBS40V integrated smoothly over WiFi backhaul with my RBS50 router. (The "voice" part remains a curiosity which I mostly ignore.)  If it were not mounted in a place that is awkward to take down, I would test ethernet backhaul.  Maybe someone in the Voice forum has personal experience to relate.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7