Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS40V won't pair with RBR20 in Satellite (Orbi) mode.

mwisch
Aspirant

RBS40V won't pair with RBR20 in Satellite (Orbi) mode.

I can connect to it in Extender mode but when I switch to Orbi mode it pulses white and never goes solid white.

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

This is the RBS40V-200 model, correct?

Have you done a Factory Reset on the RBS40V, then switched it into Orbi mode?

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS40V-200/RBS40V-200_QSG_EN.pdf 

Message 2 of 10
mwisch
Aspirant

It says RBS40V on the label, no -200. I have done the factory reset and switch to Orbi mode but the ring never goes to solid white. I am wondering if the Orbi version software is corrupt but if I try to manually update it by logging in directly in Extender mode it fails.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

I am really confused.

The RBS40V (without the '200') and the RBS40V-200 both appear to have two different firmware versions:

CrimpOn_0-1685773961835.png

Yet they have entirely different installation directions:

RBS40V: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS40V/RBS40V_QSG_EN.pdf 

These instructions make no mention of Orbi vs. Extender mode.

Likewise the Product Data Sheet for the RBS40V makes no mention of "Extender Mode".

CrimpOn_1-1685775128159.png

RBS40V-200: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS40V-200/RBS40V-200_QSG_EN.pdf 

These instructions have definite steps to change the mode to either Orbi or Extender and state that the ring light at the top will flash blue/white in extender mode and white/white in Orbi mode.

The Product Data Sheet for this model adds "works with any WiFi router":

CrimpOn_2-1685775196986.png

I have this horrible suspicion that there actually is a significant difference between the RBS40V and the RBS40V-200.

Where did this Orbi Voice come from?

• Purchased as New?
  • Purchased as Used (eBay for example)
  • Gift from someone?

Message 4 of 10
mwisch
Aspirant

It definitely defaults to extender mode (solid blue ring). The instructions to change to Orbi mode also work EXCEPT the ring never goes solid white, just pulsing. I want to use it as part of my existing Orbi mesh, not as an extender.

I purchased as used from Amazon. Can't get direct support from Netgear. I hate to return it but am running out of options.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is on the RBR20? 

The RBS40v should connect however it may need to be loaded with same version of FW as what is on the RBR20. 

To make the RBS40v connect and integrate as a satellite, Seems like the RBR20 and any RBS20s would need to be first downgraded to FW v2.6.2.104 and have the RBS40v loaded with v2.6.2.8, Then I presume the RBS40v should connect wirelessly to the RBK20 system. 

The RBS40v and RBS40v-200 are just same units. Have same FW versions. Its the operation mode that has different FW versions. 

Message 6 of 10
mwisch
Aspirant

Both the RBR20 and RBS20 are running the current version V2.7.4.24. I have no way of checking the current Orbi firmware in the RS40V, but when I tried a manual upgrade (in extender mode) with RBS40V-V2.6.2.8_1.0.1.chk it failed.

I assume I would need to do a manual update in both the RBR20 and RBS20 to downgrade?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Downgrade the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

Might press the reset button on the RBS40v and connect one wired PC to the back. Don't sync it. Just give it 5 minutes, then see if you can access the RBS self service web page at 192.168.1.250. If you can see if you can send the v2.6.2.8 FW there. Log for the self service page should be admin and password in a browser.

Message 8 of 10
mwisch
Aspirant

Downgraded both the RBR20 and RBS20 to v2.6.2.104. Reset the RBS40V and connected to wired PC. No problem logging to self service on 192.168.1.250, BUT that is in extender mode and will not accept an update with the c2.6.2.8 Orbi firmware. I can get the RBS40V to work in extender mode, but it will never boot up in Orbi mode, again staying on flashing white when switched to Orbi mode as in the original description.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Only last resort that you could try is to TFTP the Orbi FW on to the RBS40v and see if that will take. 

Otherwise, I'd send the RBS40v back. Maybe find another one to try out, hopefully that's already in Orbi mode. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7