Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Drops Internet and Router Connection

Wowzors
Aspirant

RBS50 Drops Internet and Router Connection

I bought the RBK53 from costco in late April 2019. Everything was setup and updated to the latest firmwares (2.3.5.30) and ran perfectly fine for around 2 and a half months. The setup is currently RBR50 connected to an Arris SB8200 with my ISP being Comcast Xfinity Gigabit speed. The router is located in the basement, with one satellite on the main floor and the other satellite on the second floor. Every Satellite and Router is on the latest firmware.

The issue only occurs on my main floor satellite, it will run fun for an extended amount of time and then one day it will disconnect from the router and lose internet connection, after it does this once it will continue to do so frequently until I factory reset the satellite, at which point it will run fine for a random amount of time until the process repeats. The second floor satellite never exhibits this behavior, I initially belived it was due to faulty backhaul ports but I unplugged all devices from the satellite months ago and its has continues to exhibit this behavior.

I opened a case on the Netgear website on June 28th and have updated it twice with notes since, yet a netgear representative has yet to respond.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 23
ekhalil
Master

Re: RBS50 Drops Internet and Router Connection

Do you use wired or wireless backhaul?

Message 2 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What happens if you swap RBS places. 

The basement is the the best place for the main Orbi router. The main floor is preferred...

@Wowzors wrote:

I bought the RBK53 from costco in late April 2019. Everything was setup and updated to the latest firmwares (2.3.5.30) and ran perfectly fine for around 2 and a half months. The setup is currently RBR50 connected to an Arris SB8200 with my ISP being Comcast Xfinity Gigabit speed. The router is located in the basement, with one satellite on the main floor and the other satellite on the second floor. Every Satellite and Router is on the latest firmware.

The issue only occurs on my main floor satellite, it will run fun for an extended amount of time and then one day it will disconnect from the router and lose internet connection, after it does this once it will continue to do so frequently until I factory reset the satellite, at which point it will run fine for a random amount of time until the process repeats. The second floor satellite never exhibits this behavior, I initially belived it was due to faulty backhaul ports but I unplugged all devices from the satellite months ago and its has continues to exhibit this behavior.

I opened a case on the Netgear website on June 28th and have updated it twice with notes since, yet a netgear representative has yet to respond.

Message 3 of 23
Wowzors
Aspirant

Wireless Backhaul, I am unable to run a wire to the router for the satellites. I should mention, when i do the factory reset with the pin in the back of the satellite it seems the satellite always reconnects to the router without me having to readd it. To me it doesnt appear to be fully resetting even though I hold the pin down until it flashes orange on the back.

Message 4 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try this, power OFF the RBS. Go into the RBRs web page and select disconnect from the connected clients list. The RBS should be listed here. If it is, disconnect it and then reboot the RBR. Then power ON the RBS and hit the reset button on the back of the RBS for 15 seconds then let go. No longer or no less. The RBS should get a slow pulsating ring LED on top. Then hit the sync button on the RBR and RBS...

Message 5 of 23
ekhalil
Master

@Wowzors wrote:

Wireless Backhaul, I am unable to run a wire to the router for the satellites. I should mention, when i do the factory reset with the pin in the back of the satellite it seems the satellite always reconnects to the router without me having to readd it. To me it doesnt appear to be fully resetting even though I hold the pin down until it flashes orange on the back.

Please follow the following procedure:

1. Switch off the Satellite
  2. Go to Attached Devices in the web GUI and click on the "Disconnect" button beside the Satellite in questions
  3. Turn on the Satellite and use a paper clip to factory reset the Satellite
  4. When the Satellite is up after factory reset, press the Sync button on the Satellite and then on the Router
  5. When the Satellite is added it should behave correctly.
Message 6 of 23
Wowzors
Aspirant

I will try this when I get home from work, thank you. When i was saying i rest it and it would work for a bit, this is the procedure i was doing. I assumed something was wrong as online it always says to use the GUI to add the satellite back but I was hitting sync on the satellite then running down stairs and hitting sync on the router to connect them.

As for my house square footage its about 2800sqft between main floor + second floor, a little over 4000 if the basement is included (where the router is). The 2nd satellite doesn't appear to be needed as the router and second floor satellite are covering the house fine, however I feel if I paid for 2 satellites and a router all of the products should function and work properly.

EDIT:

I just saw the post above, does this mean I should be resetting and setting up the satellite in the basement next to the router via ethernet? If so, after it is connected and setup can I then shut down the satellite, remove the ethernet and place the satelitte back into the position I wanted it?

Message 7 of 23
ekhalil
Master

@Wowzors wrote:

........ to use the GUI to add the satellite back but I was hitting sync on the satellite then running down stairs and hitting sync on the router to connect them.

It's the same. If you use the web GUI to add the Satellite then this is equivalent to hitting the Router's Sync button, and you only need to manually hit the Satellite's Sync button.

This is the same as manually hitting both the Router's and Satellite's Sync buttons and not using the web GUI. It's up to you to choose which method to use 🙂

Message 8 of 23
ekhalil
Master

@Wowzors wrote:

I just saw the post above, does this mean I should be resetting and setting up the satellite in the basement next to the router via ethernet? If so, after it is connected and setup can I then shut down the satellite, remove the ethernet and place the satelitte back into the position I wanted it?

You don't need to use Ethernet cables if you don't use wired backhaul. The post is edited now, sorry for this 🙂

Message 9 of 23
Wowzors
Aspirant

I should mention I have assigned the satellites static IP's as I was assuming the issue was stemming from an IP conflict. If I should remove these static IP's let me know, I assume they wont hurt anything and have left them but I am not an expert when it comes to these things.

Message 10 of 23
ekhalil
Master

@Wowzors wrote:

I should mention I have assigned the satellites static IP's as I was assuming the issue was stemming from an IP conflict. If I should remove these static IP's let me know, I assume they wont hurt anything and have left them but I am not an expert when it comes to these things.

If you mean that you have done DHCP address reservation in the LAN settings in Orbi for the Satellites' MAC addresses, then that's good and please keep that.

Message 11 of 23
Wowzors
Aspirant

Yes, that is exactly what I mean, I reserved the IPvia the MAC address of the Satellites.

Message 12 of 23
Wowzors
Aspirant

So I factory reset and it's working properly for now (it usually does until it poops the bed) I took this time to view the signal strengths. The main floor (issue satellite) is getting -48 and the second floor satellite is at -67.

I also deactivated Daisy chaining as I heard that may be an issue, it was disconnecting before it was turned off and still continues to disconnect sadly.
Message 13 of 23
Wowzors
Aspirant

Well that didn't last long at all. YouTube TV paused and I suspected it was connected to the main floor which had dropped. Opened the app and confirmed my suspicion.

I feel pretty strongly that this satellite unit is defective seeing as the other unit works flawlessly.
Message 14 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Wowzors wrote:
So I factory reset and it's working properly for now (it usually does until it poops the bed) I took this time to view the signal strengths. The main floor (issue satellite) is getting -48 and the second floor satellite is at -67.

I also deactivated Daisy chaining as I heard that may be an issue, it was disconnecting before it was turned off and still continues to disconnect sadly.

so what FW did you end up with?

Message 15 of 23
Wowzors
Aspirant

The satellite keeps getting updated to 2.3.5.30 after every reset. After this last reset I decided to telnet into it and do the reset config, commit config and reboot. After it rebooted it was having troubles connecting with the router when hitting sync.

I hit sync on both the router and the satellite and it connected and is working for now, who knows how long this will last though.
Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and get the RBS replaced. Seems to be faulty at best. 

@Wowzors wrote:
Well that didn't last long at all. YouTube TV paused and I suspected it was connected to the main floor which had dropped. Opened the app and confirmed my suspicion.

I feel pretty strongly that this satellite unit is defective seeing as the other unit works flawlessly.

Message 17 of 23
Wowzors
Aspirant

I opened a case almost two months ago and they have not responded. What else can I do to try and get this fixed?
Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact one of the forum Moderators and see if they can help you. @Blanca_O 

For now, Turn OFF the bad RBS and use the other working RBS. 

@Wowzors wrote:
I opened a case almost two months ago and they have not responded. What else can I do to try and get this fixed?

Message 19 of 23
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Wowzors

Please PM the support case number or device serial number. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 20 of 23
dano99
Aspirant

I had same issue with my RBS50.   My connection was WIRED so I was baffled how it could lose its connection.  Support had me reset it, update the firmware and after a few days it dropped again. 

I had to pay $15 to send the satellite to Netgear.  I am not happy about that as it should not cost me to replace a defective satellite that was only 2 months old.  

If anyone can shed some light as to why a wired satellite would repeatedly drop its connection,  I would love to understand this problem.

Message 21 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain(Disable for wired RBS), Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@dano99 wrote:

I had same issue with my RBS50.   My connection was WIRED so I was baffled how it could lose its connection.  Support had me reset it, update the firmware and after a few days it dropped again. 

I had to pay $15 to send the satellite to Netgear.  I am not happy about that as it should not cost me to replace a defective satellite that was only 2 months old.  

If anyone can shed some light as to why a wired satellite would repeatedly drop its connection,  I would love to understand this problem.

Message 22 of 23
Wowzors
Aspirant

I thought I had it fixed as I reset it and no issue for the past 5 months but randomly today it started going whack again. I think the RBS are just poorly made, very frustrating.
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7