Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Firmware update 'No Internet'

rckingsley
Aspirant

RBS50 Firmware update 'No Internet'

I have an RBR50 (just updated to V2.7.4.24), and am attempting to update my RBS50.  Up until today, everything has been working fine, but now (after rebooting both routers - several times), the Internet seems to work for a few minutes, then Internet access is lost.  I have even rebooted the modem, symptoms are always the same.

• When I use the web interface to my routers, the update status initially shows "Please wait a moment", followed by "Downloading firmware", but after about a minute, changes to "No Internet".  What is bizarre (to me) is that my computer is Ethernet-connected to the RBS50, which (in turn) is Ethernet connected to the RBR50, and my computer works fine with the Internet.
  • I then downloaded the firmware update (RBS50-V2.7.4.24.zip) from the Netgear downloads website, and attempt to manually update the RBS50, I get a message saying "This firmware file is incorrect".  I checked the download site, and it said that the file was applicable to the RBS50 (and the RBS50v2, although that is not what I have).
  • When I turn off the RBS50, WiFi works fine for all devices, but (not surprisingly) my devices that are Ethernet-connected to the RBS50 (via a switch) no longer work.

Am I looking at having to replace the RBS50, and (if so) does it need to be an RBS50 or can I use a newer model with my RBR50?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50 Firmware update 'No Internet'

Did you update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@rckingsley wrote:
  • I then downloaded the firmware update (RBS50-V2.7.4.24.zip) from the Netgear downloads website, and attempt to manually update the RBS50, I get a message saying "This firmware file is incorrect".  I checked the download site, and it said that the file was applicable to the RBS50 (and the RBS50v2, although that is not what I have).

Please confirm that you did extract the *.img file from that zip file before attempting the manual firmware update.

My personal preference when updating satellites is to connect directly to the satellite web page using the IP address of the satellite, and then selecting the Firmware Update menu option.

@rckingsley wrote:

Am I looking at having to replace the RBS50, and (if so) does it need to be an RBS50 or can I use a newer model with my RBR50?

Only the original Orbi 802.11ac satellites are compatible with the RBR50

• RBS50
  • RBS40
  • RBS20
  • RBS50Y
  • RBS40V

None of the 'Pro' or 'AX' satellites will function with the RBR50 router.

Message 3 of 5
rckingsley
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response and the suggested steps below.

As I noted in my first post, I am "unable' to update the RBS50, so it was impossible to update it first.  When I used the web interface to check for updates, it did allow me to update the RBR50, but the attempts to update the RBS50 always resulted in "No Internet).

I did follow your suggested steps (when rebooting the network gear - something I do once/week), I generally only wait about 10 seconds per device, but wanted 2 minutes each per your suggestion.  Although "for now" both routers are supporting WiFi, I still cannot update the RBS50 - either via the web interface or trying to manually install from a downloaded ZIP file.

Haven't tried a factory reset yet, but that is an excellent suggestion, and I will likely give that a try tomorrow.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
rckingsley
Aspirant

Resetting the RBS50 to factory settings then re-syncing to my RBR50 was the solution.  Thanks so much!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7