Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50, RBS20, ... Network interruption when connection goes from one satellite to the next

Manske
Aspirant

RBS50, RBS20, ... Network interruption when connection goes from one satellite to the next

Dear community,

I'm proud owner of an Orbi system and in general I'm really satisfied with the performance.

One topic bothers me still with the system.

We have 3 floors in our house (cellar, ground and 1st). In the cellar is the Orbi RBR50 connected to a Fritzbox.

From there one RBS50 is connected via LAN cable, an RBS20 is connected via LAN cable and another RBS50 is connected via the specific Wlan connecting Orbi Satellites with the Orbi router.

In the whole home one wifi exists.

Now, when I walk in a MS Teams session on my iphone (or any other device) through the field of any satellite, the connection gets interrupted for a milli second, but long enough to kick me out of the Teams session.

The only thing that I can identify is, that this happens when the MAC Adress my cell gets wifi from changes, so I can see when I leave the wifi circle of one satellite (MAC1) and immediately getting into reach of the next wifi are of the other satellite (MAC2).

I was always under the impression that those interruptions are exactly why I install a system such as Orbi, to not change the network, but remain in the same without interruptions.

Anyone an idea what could change the situation for me?

Best regards

Manuel

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Manske
Aspirant

Re: RBS50, RBS20, ... Network interruption when connection goes from one satellite to the next

Hey all, sorry for the late response, I was afk for a while.

Somehow the topic got resolved by itself. I didn´t change any setting, but now I can roam without interruption.

So from my point of view, the topic is solved!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: RBS50, RBS20, ... Network interruption when connection goes from one satellite to the next

How many sq ft is your home? 

the satellites/router need to be at minimum 30ft apart.

I actually had better service in my home by removing a satellite because they were to close together. I've tested from just 1 satellite to having 4x satellites. 3/4 satellites were to much coverage and devices didn't roam properly. With 1 or 2, it worked the best. 

another thing you can try doing if possible is to centrally locate the main router to help prevent daisy chaining. that can add latency and that might be enough to cause drops

Message 2 of 13
Manske
Aspirant

The satellites and routers should be more than 30sqft away from each other.

All of the satellites are directly (by lan wire or by bachhaul Wifi) connected to the router, so I do not have a daisy chain setup. 2 of the 3 satellites are even connected via lan wiring to the router, one satellite is connected via backhaul wifi.

All satellites have a pretty good speed,either in 2,4 or (when closer) in the 5Ghz connnection. 

The problem is really when I roam from one stallite to the router or the other satellite.

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

have you noticed if its specific to a certain satellite or does it happen with them all? 
just wondering about shutting off a couple (for testing) and just use the router and single satellite and seeing how it does. And then if that one works fine, power it off and try the next. Helps to figure out if its a full system issue or just a single satellite issue. 

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Fast Roaming is enabled.?
Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Does the same thing happen with other connections, such as Zoom meetings?
Message 6 of 13
Manske
Aspirant

Hm it is technically, whenever I leave the field of one Satellite (or router) and roam into the other field.

So it seems, that the change of MAC Adress of the satellite cuts the connection just for long enough.

Message 7 of 13
Manske
Aspirant

Yep, same with any app that needs always a connection.

Also moves get interrupted briefly (after buffer is consumed) and then restart.

Message 8 of 13
Manske
Aspirant

Regarding the fast roaming, where can I activate it?

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Fast Roaming is on the Advanced tab advanced settings, wireless settings. I believe the default is "on", but wanted to double check.
Message 11 of 13
Manske
Aspirant

Hey all, sorry for the late response, I was afk for a while.

Somehow the topic got resolved by itself. I didn´t change any setting, but now I can roam without interruption.

So from my point of view, the topic is solved!

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7