Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Satellite Disconnects Laptop from Internet When Turned On

bjcott
Aspirant

RBS50 Satellite Disconnects Laptop from Internet When Turned On

I've searched the forums but have not found this particular issue.

We have a RBR50 connected to a HughesNet HT2000 satellite modem (no wifi on the modem) and a RBS50 satellite connected by an ethernet cable for back haul through a switch which also hardwire connects a number of other computers. The RBR50 is on the ground floor on the east side of the house while the RBS50 is at the west side of the house one floor up (there is 50+ feet of separation between them)

We typically have 10-15 devices on the network; 4 or 5 wired connections and the rest via wifi.

We have one laptop that will connect to the wireless throughout the house, but will show as not connected to the Internet if the RBS50 satellite is on. If the RBS50 is turned off, then the laptop connects right away to the internet.  

Today, I disconnected the ethernet backhaul from the satellite. It connected to the RBR50 via wireless,but made no difference to the behavior of the laptop. I tried a reset on the satellite but no change in behaviour.

Right now I'm on the fence on whether it's the Orbi or the laptop's wifi adapter.

Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: RBS50 Satellite Disconnects Laptop from Internet When Turned On

One would suspect the laptop then.

Does the laptop drop off when connected wirelessly to the RBS or to the RBR?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
alokeprasad
Mentor

Do you have other mobile devices to connect to the RBS (be near it) for testing?

Any devices that you can connect to the ethernet port of the RBS to test that connectivity?

Does the web interface of the RBR show the satellite and the quality of the backhaul connection to it?

Message 2 of 6
bjcott
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you have other mobile devices to connect to the RBS (be near it) for testing?

- We've had a number of other wireless devices connect to the RBS without issue.

Any devices that you can connect to the ethernet port of the RBS to test that connectivity?

- We have an Amazon Fire Stick TV that we've had connected to the RBS for several weeks now and it works properly as a wired device when the ethernet backhaul was in place.I've not tried it via wireless back haul yet.

The Orbi app has shown the devices as connected properly to the network but is just on one laptop which loses its Internet 

Message 3 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

One would suspect the laptop then.

Does the laptop drop off when connected wirelessly to the RBS or to the RBR?

Message 4 of 6
bjcott
Aspirant

alokeprasad, 

- Does the laptop drop off when connected wirelessly to the RBS or to the RBR?

As soon as the RBS gets turned on, the laptop loses its Internet connectivity. Turn the RBS off and the Internet comes right back.I'll do some tests to see if the laptop moves from the RBR to RBS when it comes on.

Message 5 of 6
alokeprasad
Mentor

It shouldn't move from the RBR to the RBS if you are sitting close to the RBR.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7