Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 Wired Backhaul Drops and Sat Goes Offline

RBS50 Wired Backhaul Drops and Sat Goes Offline

I have a strange issue that started happening recently... Took a while to figure out what is happening.  ~24 hours after connecting wired backhaul the RBS50 will drop offline.

Setup:

RBR50 v1, RBS50 v1. Router mode. 2.7.4.24 FW. (Also tried latest Voxel FW w/ same result.)

Very Basic setup. All defaults, except IPv6 enabled (Open DNS). No NG Armor, no Guest network. About 30 devices connect to the network. No switches on network

Router has two Eth devices connected directly, the rest via WiFi. All devices connect to the Sat via WiFi. 

Direct Cat 6e backhaul cable to Eth port 1 on both devices.

Problem:

~24 hours after connecting wired backhaul the RBS50 will drop offline. All devices connected to the RBS50 loose connection. Devices do not switch to the RBR50. The RBR50 and it's devices do not loose loose connection.

To recover connectivity I disconnect the Eth backhaul cable, unplug power to the RBS50 for a few minutes, power up RBS50 and then reboot the whole system from the RBR50 console. The system will reboot with wireless backhaul and work normally until Eth backhaul cable it connected again. Wireless backhaul works with no issues. 

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

IS that CAT5e or CAT6? There is no CAT6e cabling. 

Did you first synce the RBS to the RBR wirelessly, then connect the ethernet cable to the RBS? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try swapping LAN cable between the RBR and RBS to see if anything changes? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 5

Hi @FURRYe38,

Sorry cable is Cat 6 - 50ft.

I did sync backhaul via wireless and let it run for a few days. It consistently has the issue about 24 hours after connecting wired backhaul cable.

House is about 3000 sq ft. Distance between Router and Sat is about 30ft. (3 walls, sheet rock / wood studs). However wireless backhaul works perfectly.

I have not tried another Eth cable.

I have not done a factory reset and setup from scratch since last FW update. 

I will try factory reset and setup from scratch next. If that does not work I will buy a new Eth cable to test.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. 

Message 4 of 5

Update: I performed full factory reset and reconfigure of the RBS50 and RBR50. I let it connect via wireless backhaul and run for about four hours. I then plugged in the wired backhaul cable connecting both devices (Port 1 on both).  I confirmed wired backhaul connection.  It has been running for four days without issue.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7