Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 backhaul showing disconnected and cant update firmware

TRAVISHAND
Aspirant

RBS50 backhaul showing disconnected and cant update firmware

I have an RBR50 with an RBS50 connected via wired backhaul and an RBW30 connected wirelessly.  I am having two issues.  

1)  In the Orbi app for Android, the RBS50 satellite shows up as offline

2)  In the web interface, it shows up as connected in the Attached Devices page, but when I go to the Advanced - Administration - Firmware Update page, it shows as "waiting for connection" so I cannot update the firmware.

RBR50 is on 2.5.1.8

RBS50 is on 2.3.1.48

RBW30 is on 2.3.5.6

Thanks for any help

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you access the RBS web page? If you can, manually download the RBS FW for v2.5.1.8 and unpack the zip file and manually send the FW update file using the RBS web page with a wired PC. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

Look at the connected clients list to see if it appears there with a IP address. 

Message 2 of 8
TRAVISHAND
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.  Do you mean connect a laptop directly to the RBS50 with a wired connection and login in to it using the the IP address it is assigned on the connected device page?  Also, any ideas about why it isnt showing as connected elsewhere?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you can or if the RBS is ethernet connected to the RBR you can access the RBS with a PC connected to the RBR. 

FW is out of sync. FW needs to be the same. 

FYI, always update FW on the RBS's first, then the RBR lastly. 

Message 4 of 8
TRAVISHAND
Aspirant

I tried connecting directly to the satellite and the username and password for the router would not work.  I also tried using admin and the password on te satellite and that did not work as well.  Not sure how you are suggesting to do it via a computer connected to the RBR.  Through the orbi software, the device shows up as waiting for connection on the firmware update screen.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS and RBSY. Wire connect a PC to the one satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

When the satellites are reset, wait about 5 minute. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. I believe the IP address of the satellite will be 192.168.1.250. You can look at the network status connection properties to see what the GATEWAY IP address is to verify. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Do this for both satellites. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 6 of 8
TRAVISHAND
Aspirant

I have tried this over and over.  Can get to the login screen at 192.168.1.1 connected directly to the satellite.  Enter admin and password and it tells me the password is wrong.  Asks me to verify the Serial, which i do and it says it doesnt match.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

No after the reset, connect to the RBS at 192.168.1.250 with a wired PC directly connected to the RBS. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7