Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 does not update firmware from version V2.3.5.30 to latest version V2.5.0.38

MRHansen
Aspirant

RBS50 does not update firmware from version V2.3.5.30 to latest version V2.5.0.38

I have just added two RBS50 to my existing network but they do not update firmware from version V2.3.5.30 to latest version V2.5.0.38 automatically and think that they are on latest version. When trying to update manually I get the message that the firmware image is incorrect for the device. My existing RBR50 and RBS50 have always been updating firmware. I have attached copy of the firmware update page. Any ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: RBS50 does not update firmware from version V2.3.5.30 to latest version V2.5.0.38

Netgear has stopped pushing automatic updates out for minor changes in firmware. You will only get automatic updates when there are major changes.

Looking at your attachment, I noticed the firmware for your router and first satellite are V 2.3.5.38 while the other two satellites are V 2.3.5.30. The same firmware should be installed on the router and all the satellites for the most stable performance. Ignore the statement the "No new firmware available."

I recommend downloading the V2.3.5.38 files manually and updating the satellites. Be certain you have the correct firmware file for the device! Satellite firmware is different from the router, e.g.,RBS50-V2.x.x.xx.img versus RBR50-V2.x.x.xx.img. For optimum performance your ORBI system may require a factory reset and manual reconfiguration. That is a PITA if you have lots of devices and tweaks to your system but it can help give you a faster, more stable WiFI environment. Do a factory reset of all your ORBI system devices AFTER the firmware update.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: RBS50 does not update firmware from version V2.3.5.30 to latest version V2.5.0.38

Netgear has stopped pushing automatic updates out for minor changes in firmware. You will only get automatic updates when there are major changes.

Looking at your attachment, I noticed the firmware for your router and first satellite are V 2.3.5.38 while the other two satellites are V 2.3.5.30. The same firmware should be installed on the router and all the satellites for the most stable performance. Ignore the statement the "No new firmware available."

I recommend downloading the V2.3.5.38 files manually and updating the satellites. Be certain you have the correct firmware file for the device! Satellite firmware is different from the router, e.g.,RBS50-V2.x.x.xx.img versus RBR50-V2.x.x.xx.img. For optimum performance your ORBI system may require a factory reset and manual reconfiguration. That is a PITA if you have lots of devices and tweaks to your system but it can help give you a faster, more stable WiFI environment. Do a factory reset of all your ORBI system devices AFTER the firmware update.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 4
MRHansen
Aspirant

Thank you so much, not sure how I manged to download the Router image rather than the satellite, so after getting the right image the satellite updated easily.

Have a lovely Christmas

Thank you

Michael

Message 3 of 4
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Glad it was a simple fix. A Merry Christmas to you and all the forum supporters!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7