Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 makes network unstable

aibanez2797
Aspirant

RBS50 makes network unstable

A while ago, I bought a RBR50/RBS50 combo with one router and two satellites.  From the first day I had it, I couldn't use one of the satellites.  It was running older firmware than the router and the other satellite, and every time I tried to join it to the router, it would make the entire network unstable.  Every device in the house would lose connectivity, nobody could access the network, and of course I couldn't upgrade the firmware on the RBS50 that was causing the problem.  As soon as I would kill power on this satellite, the network would become stable and usable.

Currently, my router and working satellite are running v2.3.5.30, and my laggard satellite is running 1.12.0.18.  Is there any way to make this unit usable with my network?  I would hate to think the money I spent on it was wasted.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: RBS50 makes network unstable

This post has steps that a user in a similar predicament had and got it working.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Cannot-update-RBK50-or-either-RBS50-to-anything-beyond-v1-2-0-...

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure when updating FW on the Orbi system that you update the RBS first, then the RBR. 

Message 3 of 12
aibanez2797
Aspirant

Thanks plemans, but I'm not sure if that is going to help.  That procedure describes upgrading to an intermediate release to get to the current version (a very reasonable approach).  I'm just not sure how to update the satellite if the entire network falls apart as soon as I connect it to the router.  Is there a way to update the satellite without connecting it to a router?

Message 4 of 12
aibanez2797
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38, but that describes the precise position I find myself in, from the moment I bought this set.  My satellite shipped with a much older FW release than the router, and I have never been able to get the network stable enough to update it any further.  Has anyone run into this before?  Is there any way to upgrade the FW on the satellite without connecting it to a router?

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

you can use tftp to update satellites.  @FURRYe38 has actually had posts about doing so before. 🙂 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-corrupt-firmware/m-p/1636597

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

here's the windows tftp procedure. Read through some of the other posts I linked to to see what problems they had, fixes they used. Valuable research in problems others have had while doing so. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't need to use TFTP. 

Just factory reset the RBS after you have downloaded the necessary files. Connect 1 wired PC to the back of the RBS and wait for the PC to get an IP address, should be 192.168.1.something. Open a web browser and input 192.168.1.250. This should open the RBS web page. Admin and PW is password. Once in, send the v2.0.0.74 FW file. After this loads, continue to loading the v30 FW file for the RBS. should be able to go directly to v30 after v74. 

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Cool.  I did not realize the satellite would give devices an IP address when it is not connected to the router.  Great tip about the 1.250 web address.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I had wondered about that a while back. I happend to do a reset and figured, lets see what happens. Sure enough. PC got an IP address and the gateway IP worked for logging to the RBS. Nice safety feature. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

Nice to know this. I wasn't aware of this either. Thanks!
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

A bit easier then using TFTP thought TFTP should work too as last resort. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7