Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS50 only connecting at 2.4ghz backhaul

CrimpOn
Guru

If this remains the case for more than 15 minutes, I believe the satellite is broken.  At the very least, I would do a factory reset on the satellite.

Message 26 of 30

Antennas leveled out at I connected to 5G. I really don't think there's anything physically wrong with the RBK system.  It worked perfectly fine in my last house.  The only variable over the last month is the new house.

Therefore, I agree with everyone's assessment about the building materials. So, I believe I have devised a way to fish Cat 6 down to the basement so I can enable a wired backhaul situation. 

I'll keep everyone posted.

Message 27 of 30
desktopdoug
Aspirant

Hi @harryballzanya,

Do you have the ability to see if your orbit devices were doing the same as mine, as per my recent post (Post number 8 I think where I've linked 3 screenshots.)  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBS50-Connection-Type-2-4Ghz/m-p/2237629/highlight/false#M1342...

Just interested to know whether, when your satellite has switched from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz, can you then see two different 'hidden' 5ghz backhaul channels in use?

When its connected on 5Ghz, I can see two devices broadcasting on the same channel, the satellite and the router. 

You would need a Wifi analyser to see this. I used the free Wifi Analyser for Windows 10 / Windows 11 available from the Microsoft Store: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/wifi-analyzer/9NBLGGH33N0N?hl=en-gb&gl=gb&icid=CNavAppsWindo...

Or I think you can get similar on Android mobile devices if you have one.

I wouldn't expect the satellite to change the backhaul 5ghz channel to a different one from the router so its confusing me.

Thanks

Doug

Message 28 of 30

@desktopdoug wrote:

Hi @harryballzanya,

Do you have the ability to see if your orbit devices were doing the same as mine, as per my recent post (Post number 8 I think where I've linked 3 screenshots.)  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBS50-Connection-Type-2-4Ghz/m-p/2237629/highlight/false#M1342...

Just interested to know whether, when your satellite has switched from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz, can you then see two different 'hidden' 5ghz backhaul channels in use?

When its connected on 5Ghz, I can see two devices broadcasting on the same channel, the satellite and the router. 

You would need a Wifi analyser to see this. I used the free Wifi Analyser for Windows 10 / Windows 11 available from the Microsoft Store: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/wifi-analyzer/9NBLGGH33N0N?hl=en-gb&gl=gb&icid=CNavAppsWindo...

Or I think you can get similar on Android mobile devices if you have one.

I wouldn't expect the satellite to change the backhaul 5ghz channel to a different one from the router so its confusing me.

Thanks

Doug

@desktopdoug I replied to your post in your own thread about the in-line images not being approved by a moderator yet.  When you're able to either attach them or get them approved I'll take a look.  I have been able to ~90% determine that the connection drops when the satellite is switching from 5ghz to 2.4ghz backhaul (and vice versa).  I haven't gotten back into inSSIDer to see about the channels.  Once I see your screen shots I'll see if I'm showing the same things.

Although, as @CrimpOn said, I really think I'm dealing with a matter of inches and feet of signal issues and it's simply a game of finding the best location in this house, which is why I'm resolved to just hardwiring for backhaul.  I'm waiting for some Cat6 and a fiberglass cable fishing tool to arrive from Amazon, but I have a feeling this will be a chore in and of itself due to locations of everything, insulation getting in the way, etc.

For anyone curious, I plan to run the Cat6 through an existing coax plate in the wall on the main level of the house and feed it down to the basement because I know where the coax runs and can easily follow it without (hopefully) the need to drill any new holes).  I'll fish the Cat6 to the router in the basement.  The idea is to plug the offending satellite on the main level into the new Cat6 wall jack, which will be directly linked to the router in the basement.

In the meantime, I need to read up on wired backhaul.  I've been an Orbi user for around 5 years and have always used wireless backhaul.

I will continue to report on my successes and failures for posterity.

Message 29 of 30

Well, the wired backhaul solution I was attempting hit a snag...I can't find any good way to run Cat6 between floors at this point.

I have two, additional RBS50s heading my way from a friend who no longer uses them.  Here's what I will attempt when they arrive:

One satellite will remain in the basement (we'll call it RBS1) near the router, but in another room directly beneath a satellite on the first floor (RBS2).  My hope is if I use daisy chain topology I can get a strong, stable signal between RBS1 and RBS2.  The third satellite (RBS3) will be on the second floor.  Again, my hope is RBS2 will be able to send establish a strong connection with RBS3 and the daisy chain will be complete.

If anyone reading this has any thoughts on the plan I'd love to hear it.  

Message 30 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7