Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBW30 wont't Sync

brettboz28
Aspirant

RBW30 wont't Sync

I have an RBR50 and a RBS 50 sat that are working great. I added the RBW30 and I can't get it to sync. I tried adding a sat through the app and manually and neither option works. Any suggestions how to get the RBW30 to sync 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 1 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You may need to connect a pc via ethernet to the satellite and login to the unit using its IP address and do a manual update of the unit to the same firmware your orbi unit is currently on. by default the IP address may be 192.168.1.250 but it could of changed since you have tried to connect the unit.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 14
brettboz28
Aspirant

The satellite doesn’t have a Ethernet port on it
Message 3 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I suggest contacting support they will be able to troubleshoot with you and replace the unit if it turns out to be faulty.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 4 of 14
jftobolski
Aspirant

I've been experiencing similar issues.  Tell me, does the RBW30 have an IP address and show up in the connected devices table?

My theory,  and I've not been able to test this, is that becuase my wireless is set up for Daisy Chain, the 2nd satellite needs to sync to the 1st satellite, not the router.  Is your wireless set up for daisy chain [Advanced Setup->Wireless->Enable Diay-Chain Topology]?    Perhaps try unchecking that box, *or* syncing satellite 2 to satellite 1.

Curious to know the outcome...

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you add the 30 thru the routers web page add satellite feature?

I would check to make sure the 30 series is compatible with the 50 series system. I would recommend using same models series satellites as they would be more compatible and maintain same speed ratings they are designed for. Kind of a match system if you will.

Test each setting with Daisy chain enabled or disabled to see if it will sync...

Message 6 of 14
jftobolski
Aspirant

yes i have tried it through the web page. no dice. i’ve not tried it via the buttons yet. fwiw you’re supposed to be able to mix and match
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Well i know for my system, I use the routers UI and use the add Satellite feature. There is a sync button there then I after the satellite is factory reset, I hit the sync button on the satellite. After a couple of minutes, the satellite is online and shows BLUE Led.

I presume you can however device speeds differ between RBS models. The 50 series is a 1700Mb connect rated system.  I believe the 40 and 20 series are 800Mb range. These speeds are just speeds between the router and the satellites and devices. Thruput is completely different

You might look at the different specs on the Orbi product page to see what differences there are. I would try to keep in the same rated speeds. If you have a higher speed, then keep with this. Should be less problematic.

Message 8 of 14
brettboz28
Aspirant

I tried everything after an hour on the phone with support i was told it was a defective unit and to return it. I never replaced it.
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I guess you'll need to find another unit then.

@brettboz28wrote:
I tried everything after an hour on the phone with support i was told it was a defective unit and to return it. I never replaced it.

Message 10 of 14
jftobolski
Aspirant

Thanks - my use case dictated the RBW30, and I had already looked very thoroughly at the options.  I suspect there is an issue with the daisy chain option; about to test that now...

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out.

Message 12 of 14
jftobolski
Aspirant

My issue was related to daisy chaining - moving to star and synching with the router worked.  In the daisy chain mode, synching with the other satellite also worked

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements