Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RDP blocked on internal network?

markaustin
Guide

RDP blocked on internal network?

I recently got an Orbi to upgrade from my previous Netgear router.  Since getting the new network (which is actually the exact same subnet as the previous), I have been unable to RDP between any of my windows machines (neither by hostname nor ip address).  Yet, all machines can be pinged and SMB shares have no problem.  There doesn't seem to be any settings on the Orbi that would affect this one way or another.

Facts:

All Windows machines in question were 100% accessible with RDP with my previous gen Netgear

My Windows machines are on the same subnet and wired network plugged into the base unit - wireless isolation is not the issue

Network settings on the machines are set to Private with file/print sharing and discoverable

Windows Firewalls on the machines are OFF

There is no 3rd party software that contains a firewall on any of the machines

The machines are pingable by each other and file shares can be accessed

Yes, RDP is enabled on the default 3389 port and remote access is enabled and not restricted at all

All Windows machine IP's are set statically (on the same subnet) and are outside the DHCP pool

These machines _CAN_ be accessed via RDP externally via port forwarding.  However, none of them can RDP to eachother within the local network.

Any help/ideas are very welcome!!!

Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: RDP blocked on internal network?

These machines _CAN_ be accessed via RDP externally via port forwarding.  However, none of them can RDP to eachother within the local network.

The above is really mysterious, especially since internal RDP shouldn't involve your router.  How are you trying to RDP within your local network? I just remote from one Windows host to the other Windows host's internal IP address, using default port 3389, and it connects.

Message 2 of 4
TyBarthel
Initiate

Hey I saw your post when I was experiencing the same issue.  The way I fixed it was to change my network setting to allow the computer I want to connect to to be discoverable since the network must have defaulted to a "public" network.

See this post for information:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Can-t-run-Remote-Desktop/td-p/457495

Message 3 of 4
markaustin
Guide

Thank you for the reply!

So, I did, in fact, already have the machines set to private network and discoverable (on private and public just for testing sake).  However, when I created a 'homegroup', the machines could then RDP to each other.  This is very strange to me since I had never had a homegroup setup previously and all the permissions/IP's/Names/subnet/etc were all the same when connected to the previous gen Netgear router and RDP worked without a problem.  At this point, I'm just happy it's working now, but I'm not a huge fan of homegroups and still don't understand why it doesn't work like before.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7