Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rbk22 and Verizon Internet Gateway

Drewmama
Guide

Rbk22 and Verizon Internet Gateway

I'm trying out Verizon 5G Home Internet free for 30 days. I currently have my Orbi RBK22 connected to Spectrum modem. Can I just plug in the Orbi into the Verizon gateway without doing a whole new setup? I want to keep same Wifi name and password so that I don't have to update all my devices in case I don't like Verizon. I know I have to do something about NAT but just want to figure out the easiest way to test out this new internet.
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Rbk22 and Verizon Internet Gateway

The primary concern is whether the Spectrum modem is a "modem" or a combination modem/router that is in router mode.

From the FAQs, the Verizon 5G Home Internet device is intended to be a combination modem/router/WiFi system.  To use the existing Orbi, most people would want to disable the Verizon WiFi to reduce competition for radio time.

Not sure what "do something about NAT" is all about.  Routers perform NAT automatically.  One router can be connected to another router and both do NAT transparently to the user.  As a test, I connected three routers and found that a laptop connected to the 3rd router performed exactly as it did when there was only one router.  The caveat is that some specific applications will not function when there is more than one router.  https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT If you do not use those applications, then this is not an issue for you.

Would be a good idea to save a copy of the Orbi router configuration "just in case".

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7