Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rbr50

Rbr50

Hi,

I bougth a wifi router rbr50 withbsatelite a couple of weeks ago. And i cant't get my wifi to work properly, i am still connected to my wifi network. But i loose my internet connection occatinally, and it is quite slow. I have tried to change the channels on the router, but it does not help. I have even got my internet supplier to monitor their feed line. So could you plesea help me, if not I have to return the product.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 13
Hector0125
Guide

Hi,

You are not alone, myself and many others are having the same issue with wifi connection. Netgear is aware of this issue and it is working on this now.  It has to do with latest firmware update (V1.12.0.18).  I noticed today that NETGEAR has removed this firmware update from their download page:  https://www.netgear.com/support/download/.  That means they are really working on getting this fixed.  Also, some people are reporting having problem with Samsung Galaxy S8, Phone will disconnect from ORBI wifi constantly, which that is my case personally, all other devices stay connected with no problem at all. 

Message 2 of 13

Ok, thank you for clearifying.
I am having the problem with iphone 7 and the smart tv(LG), rarely on the laptop.
Message 3 of 13
vtrusty
Star

no joke, if you still can, do yourself a favor and return the Orbi and go with another product.

i'm sure others on this forum would suggest the same. there are just way too many firmware and performance issues with the Orbi.

Message 4 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jostein_jansen

Have you turned on mumimo and beamforming some have said this has fixed the disconnect issues.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 13

Hi,

I tried and put the router in beamforming, no success this either. Returned the product today, much more stable with my asus router.
Message 6 of 13
waltwagner
Tutor

I have the internet disconnect problem too. And I'm glad, Hector0125, that Netgear's working on another firmware update. FYI, v1.12.0.18 is still available on the download page. Maybe it was removed temporarily when you checked.

Either returning your Obi system (if you've run out of patience), or just waiting for a new update seem to be our only options. It's been over a 40-minute wait each time I've tried to get through to tech support. In one session, the support person had me factory reset (only the router, not the satellite), and the only change she had me make was to the MTU setting, from 1500 to 1450. The Obi interface said I had internet, so I signed off thinking all was now well. Well, I never was able to get on the internet until I changed the MTU back to 1500. So, y'all, don't do that!

ALSO... I opened a support ticket, we had one back-and-forth, and they've been totally unresponsive ever since--more than 10 days. I'm just blowing through my 90 days of tech "support", at this rate.

RBR50/RBS50

Message 7 of 13
cyberprashant
Luminary

only option if youre having issue is to downgrade to 1.11.0.20 - a shame really as when downgraded it performs awesomely!  Not everyone is a tech/geek so I'm sure orbi is losing tons of customers (plus even tech geeks have better things to be doing than to worry about....a stable router after paying so much for one!)   Dont waste 40 minutes on the phone for support - the downgrade can be done in a few minutes and is not too bad really (see page 5 of this thread - and it's comments: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421)

Message 8 of 13
NightStorm
Guide

I have had my Orbi with 1 satellite now for over 2 months.  The decision to buy is something I've been regretting and I'm doubly upset with myself for not returning it while I was in that window of opportunity.  In the beginning I was impressed by the wifi speeds, but then the rest of the family started complaining about dropped Wifi, something I was not seeing.  Turns out that I'm the sole non-Apple user in the family and that all of the Apple products kept losing Wifi while non-Apple (Android, non-Apple laptops) were OK.  Netgear let me try some beta firmware, an improvement in that the Wifi was not dropping on the Apple products per-se.  New behavior was equivalent though as instead of dropping outright the Wifi connection wouold remain but  iPads, Macbooks, and iPhones would stall out for minutes at a time, sometimes reporting something like "no internet" or words to that effect.  Meanwhile my linux laptop and Android devices would play on.

I've been through lots and lots of combos of Orbi settings but have not yet found "the magic".  Maybe it will finally happen with new firmware.  Meanwhile I find it troubling that Netgear released this, a product that from my perspective works so poorly with what must be near half the devices in the world.

Message 9 of 13
Hector0125
Guide

You might want to check again today......I received an update on my phone today and I decided to connect my phone to ORBI wifi and it has been stable for 2+ hours......still monitoring to make sure it is connected to ORBI and it is....I will UPDATE tomorrow around this time regardless.......I think it has been fixed....fingers crossed......

Message 10 of 13
Braveheart1
Initiate

I think my problem is specific to my Samsung Galaxy S8+ too! Please help! Wifi signal drops every few minutes! So frustrating. Thanks.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 11 of 13
Schoeneberger
Initiate

Re: Rbr50 drops wifi

having the same issue with a rbr50 on galaxy s8 plus. wifi drops all the time, doesn't happen on any other router.

heard if you connect using guest that may help.  This is a real problem.  anyone know of a fix

Message 12 of 13
JMU1998
Luminary

Re: Rbr50 drops wifi

@Schoeneberger no word on fix from Netgear Engineering yet hopefully fix is coming in Firmware 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7