Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement of RBR 40 router - due to hardware failure -

LouisZ
Follower

I have to replace my RBR40 Router part of a 3 satellite configuration. I will call this the original new product install RBK40(Orig)  . The RBR40 (orig)  router damage was verified by Netgear Support staff. The staff advised me to replace the damaged item, after extensive searching we confirmed that I could not purchase a standalone new  RBR40. 

I have the following situations

Router replacement and Set up

I found two used RBR40 routers - one a refurbished unit on via Amazon , and a used unit for e-bay.   I will call the eBay RBR 40 router  unit as RBR40 (e-bay) , the second as RBR40 refurbished  RBR40(Refurb) 

I noticed that the three satellites  have the password for the RBR40 (orig) , does this imply that I need to some how load the new password from RBR40 (e-bay) .  I am having difficulties setting up the satellites.  

I have RBR40 (e-bay) up and running and we noticed a reduction in performance (area-distance) covered.  Is there anyway to check or verified power .

Is there anywhere I can send RBR40 (orig)  For diagnostics and potential repair I need to identify the damage and potential source in the house .

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Replacement of RBR 40 router - due to hardware failure -

Please post about this over in the Orbi AC forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 13
MMIdesign
Aspirant

I’ve spent days trying to fix this and have spend additional money for support. The base router is unable to reset and turn ‘Amber’. I believe this item has been recalled. I’m 8 days past Best Buy’s return policy and I’m out around $400. I’m unable to run my thermostat and other devices. I’m unable to sign into my account or reset my password.

Has anyone been able
To quickly replace this item as my household and home office has been without service for almost a week.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. Do this with the RBR disconnected from the ISP modem. Can you access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 in a web browser with a wired PC connected to the RBR?
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@MMIdesign wrote:
I’ve spent days trying to fix this and have spend additional money for support. The base router is unable to reset and turn ‘Amber’. I believe this item has been recalled. I’m 8 days past Best Buy’s return policy and I’m out around $400. I’m unable to run my thermostat and other devices. I’m unable to sign into my account or reset my password.

Has anyone been able
To quickly replace this item as my household and home office has been without service for almost a week.

Message 4 of 13
Avg_Guy
Tutor

DOES THIS RESET PROCEDURE ALSO APPLY RESET TO THE NETGEAR PASSWORD RECOVERY AT THE WEBSITE? IF NOT, HOW IS THAT ISSUE THEN RESOLVED???

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

No need to yell. Thank you. 

@Avg_Guy wrote:

DOES THIS RESET PROCEDURE ALSO APPLY RESET TO THE NETGEAR PASSWORD RECOVERY AT THE WEBSITE? IF NOT, HOW IS THAT ISSUE THEN RESOLVED???

Message 6 of 13
Avg_Guy
Tutor

Thank you very much for the propmt reply and sorry for the ALL CAPS, I saw your user name (FURRY...) and couldn't help myself...Smiley Happy

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes. 

No need to yell. Thank you. 

@Avg_Guy wrote:

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 13
Avg_Guy
Tutor

Hey Furry, the hard reset was effective in resetting the SSID to the default but did not reset the router admin login password. I also tried depressing the reset button continuously while powering down then back up but also no joy. Any other tricks I can try?

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Only a press of 15 seconds then release is needed.

Be sure you clear all browser caches as well and any saved PWs that you might have saved for the RBR with in the browser. Once you reset, the setup wizard should begin first thing after the RBR comes to ready...

Message 10 of 13
Avg_Guy
Tutor

Ok. I was using the Orbi app which opened the browser. I will clear the cache and try again.
Message 11 of 13
Avg_Guy
Tutor

Success. Per advice, I cleared the history/cache on my phone and desktop Chrome browsers (in case the Orbi app failed to work) and without another router reset was able to use the Orbi app to login and reconfigure basic settings. SHOUT out to FURRY for the assist. Smiley Wink Thanks.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements