Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Requesting assistance with Orbi in Kenya

Explorer_1
Follower

Requesting assistance with Orbi in Kenya

Greetings All,

I recently took a job in Nairobi, Kenya and I have an Orbi Tri-band WiFi modem and satellite (RBR20) that I purchased in Arizona.  I used the Orbi setup since 2019 but after moving to Nairobi, I can't seem to get it working here.

It may be operator error but I figured I would throw my issue out to the community to see if anyone has experience with this issue.

So far, I connected the Orbi set to my current Zuku WiFi modem and the Orbi router and satellite were able to establish their connection (blue light!) but they do not work as a connected wifi.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the Orbi Tri-band WiFi set in Africa?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Mateo

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Requesting assistance with Orbi in Kenya

A couple things. 

1. Africa has different broadcast restrictions. You need to change your region to work for them. Problem is, the fcc makes them lock down the region from devices in north america. so you can't change it. You used to be able to telnet into the router and use the burnsku command to change it. (google it). You might still be able to if you're on older firmware. 

2. your gateway isn't just a modem. Its a modem/router combo device. it causes a doublenat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7