Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rkb50 router in satellite mode

Cowmad88
Follower

Rkb50 router in satellite mode

Hi, I have just purchased two rkb50 kits and was told by the salesperson at Harvey Norman that I can put the second router into satellite mode so I can then have one router with 3 satellites. Does anyone know how to do this or if it is even possible?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: Rkb50 router in satellite mode

@Cowmad88 wrote:

....... and was told by the salesperson at Harvey Norman that I can put the second router into satellite mode so I can then have one router with 3 satellites. ......

This is not completely true, unfortunately!

To have a “pure” mesh system you can only have one Orbi Router and then a number of Satellites. 
You can use the Satellite from the second RBK50 package as a second Satellite added to the first RBK50 package. 
An RBR50 Router can’t be used as Satellite, but you can connect it to your network *wired* (only wired) in AP mode to provide extra coverage but -although that you can use the same SSID in this AP as in the mesh network- this extra AP will not be part of the mesh network, i.e. you can use any router from any other brand to do this same functionality. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Rkb50 router in satellite mode

@ekhalil was too kind.  The salesman LIED.  An Orbi router can NEVER be used as a salellite. NEVER. 

So, you have two unattractive choices:  (1) return the "package deal" and spend more money purchasing two RBS50 satellites.  (2) Use the one satellite as intended and deploy the remaining router as a dumb access point that is not integrated into the Orbi mesh network, which is something any dumb access point can do at far less cost.

I do not think most sales people lie deliberately.  They simply do not understand the product and make assumptions which turn out not to be correct.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7