Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rolling Back 2.5.0.38 Orbi Firmware Update/options for dealing with non-functional web GUI on ro

wesmithjr100
Guide

Rolling Back 2.5.0.38 Orbi Firmware Update/options for dealing with non-functional web GUI on router

I updated to the 2.5.0.38 probably a week or two ago but this evening discovered the web GUI is all jacked up on the main router.   I've uploaded a screenshot to depict this.  It's completely useless at the moment and unable to navigate within it.   I'm now reading of issues others are having with this update and would like to try and rollback.  It seems I can do this on my satellite at hxxp://SatelliteIPAddress/fwUpdate.htm though the GUI there is working fine.  Is there some way I can do this on my main router given the current state it's in?    If I have to factory reset which I won't be happy about (mainly since I failed to do a backup prior to this last update so shame on me there), is it going to reset to this same firmware version / will I still be in the same boat?

Thanks,

Bill

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Rolling Back 2.5.0.38 Orbi Firmware Update/options for dealing with non-functional web GUI on ro

I believe most have gone to the download page and found a older version there.  If not, do a search here for someone had posted a link where 'older' versions are kept...??

Tip:  Stop doing manual firmware updates.

Message 2 of 8
Wire1852
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

------------------------------------------

When checking for firmware updates on the router there are 2 pages (autoload or manual). If the autoload page says there is a new firmware the majority of the people will update (I'm one of them). In the past if a company releases updates you assumed the company had did rigorous testing & would update. After Netgear's last 2 firmware updates that rational & trust is gone.

The issue then becomes when do you know it's ok to update the firmware? Netgear has created  a mess.

BTW- I also rollback to 2.5.0.30. Speeds on wifi & wired were all over the map using 2.5.0.38. And what have we heard from Netgear after several weeks of this release? Answer - nothing.

Message 3 of 8
wesmithjr100
Guide

@Wire1852 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

When checking for firmware updates on the router there are 2 pages (autoload or manual). If the autoload page says there is a new firmware the majority of the people will update (I'm one of them). In the past if a company releases updates you assumed the company had did rigorous testing & would update. After Netgear's last 2 firmware updates that rational & trust is gone.

The issue then becomes when do you know it's ok to update the firmware? Netgear has created  a mess.

BTW- I also rollback to 2.5.0.30. Speeds on wifi & wired were all over the map using 2.5.0.38. And what have we heard from Netgear after several weeks of this release? Answer - nothing.

I found the older / immediately prior firmware revision but the issue was how do I apply it given the GUI was jacked on the main router.  I eventually tried a complete power cycle (unplugging / plugging back in) and that seems to have cleared things up for the moment.  I assume I can I just navigate to the firmware section and manually upload the older revision if I wanted to go the downgrade route?   

Stopping manual updates is not the answer either as you potentially leave your environment exposed if a newer firmware release is addressing known vulnerabilities (in a more general sense since I don't think there were any known vulns addressed with this release).   Had Netgear done more rigorous testing in this case, I have to imagine they would have encountered some of the various issues others have reported.

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Wire1852 wrote:

When checking for firmware updates on the router there are 2 pages (autoload or manual). If the autoload page says there is a new firmware the majority of the people will update (I'm one of them).

Auto means you do nothing.  NG will push it to you.

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820500/hi...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1820477/hi...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Speeds-have-plummeted-after-latest-update/m-p/1819282/highligh...

Be sure to clear all browser caches as well. 

@wesmithjr100 wrote:

I updated to the 2.5.0.38 probably a week or two ago but this evening discovered the web GUI is all jacked up on the main router.   I've uploaded a screenshot to depict this.  It's completely useless at the moment and unable to navigate within it.   I'm now reading of issues others are having with this update and would like to try and rollback.  It seems I can do this on my satellite at hxxp://SatelliteIPAddress/fwUpdate.htm though the GUI there is working fine.  Is there some way I can do this on my main router given the current state it's in?    If I have to factory reset which I won't be happy about (mainly since I failed to do a backup prior to this last update so shame on me there), is it going to reset to this same firmware version / will I still be in the same boat?

Thanks,

Bill

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@wesmithjr100 wrote:

Stopping manual updates is not the answer either as you potentially leave your environment exposed if a newer firmware release is addressing known vulnerabilities (in a more general sense since I don't think there were any known vulns addressed with this release).   Had Netgear done more rigorous testing in this case, I have to imagine they would have encountered some of the various issues others have reported.

Exposed to what?  Your system is running leave it alone

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7