Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router Dropping Internet Connection Constantly

rchorowitz
Aspirant

Router Dropping Internet Connection Constantly

It seems I am one of many who has an unstable Orbi.

The GUI internet status changes from good to disconnected.

It happens constantly.  I added another RDS50 because I thought it was a distance problem, without resolution.

I also had the cable company replace/upgrade my modem.

I have tried just about every combination of settings and factory reset many times.

This Saturday I spent the better part of 6-hours with Tech support.  They walked my through every option imaginable.  They finally told me to move the locations of the router and satellites, and get back to them.

I have tried moving thing around without luck.  I updated my case and still have not gotten a call back.

My WiFi is rther worthless and I wish I had the cartons to return all of this.  I have been a Netgear loyalist for years, but I am about done.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, lets see if we can help you figure this one out. Not everyone is having bad experiences with there systems.

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. How many satellites are deployed?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

@rchorowitz wrote:

It happens constantly.  I added another RDS50 because I thought it was a distance problem, without resolution.

I also had the cable company replace/upgrade my modem.

I have tried just about every combination of settings and factory reset many times.

This Saturday I spent the better part of 6-hours with Tech support.  They walked my through every option imaginable.  They finally told me to move the locations of the router and satellites, and get back to them.

I have tried moving thing around without luck.  I updated my case and still have not gotten a call back.

My WiFi is rther worthless and I wish I had the cartons to return all of this.  I have been a Netgear loyalist for years, but I am about done.

Message 2 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@rchorowitz wrote:

Can you please describe more about "constantly"?  i.e. Is it every 10 minutes?  every hour? once a day?  Do you see anything in the Orbi log file that corresponds to the times when it disconnects?

Message 3 of 15
rchorowitz
Aspirant

Unfortunately, many people are having bad experiences with their systems.

Firmware is V2.2.1.210 on both the router and satellites

The ISP modem is Arris TG1672G  (w/static IP)

The Router is a NG ProSafe FVS336G

The Orbi is in AP mode (I have tried Router mode as well)

DHCP is being managed by the router and not Orbi.

I have tried reserving an IP for the Orbis

My home is +/- 4,500 Sq,.Ft.

I have the router and a satelllite on the main floor 20 - 30 feet apart (I have moved them all over the place, they are now are at about 20 feet).  The second satallite is on the second floor about 10 feet away from the router and one floor above.

I have tried channel 44 & 48 & Auto, 6 & 11.

My nearest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away

I have tried WPA2-PSK [AES], WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] and No security

I have tried Beamforming and MIMO.

I have also tried enabling/disabling Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, and  20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. 

I also tried reducing the CTD/RTS threshold (per NG support)

I have also tried lowering the transmit power to 75%

Each time I make a change I have rebooted my router, modem and Orbi.  Sometimes it has been stable for several hours after I have reset everything.

I do not have any connectivity issues with the hard wired devices.

It also seems that the desktop computer plugged into the Orbi does not lose it's connection to the internet, even when the GUI shows disconnected.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

"I have the router and a satelllite on the main floor 20 - 30 feet apart (I have moved them all over the place, they are now are at about 20 feet).  The second satallite is on the second floor about 10 feet away from the router and one floor above." This is probably too close. 30 feet or more is recommended distance between the base and satellite(s). I have mine out at 40 feet. If you dont' have any problems with wired, then this is just a wireless issue. 

Has the Orbi system been factory reset and setup from scratch since last FW update? 

The wifi on the ISP modem IS disabled fully? 

Modem bridge or router mode? Should be bridge for your NG Prosafe. 

Message 5 of 15
rchorowitz
Aspirant

There is nothing in the Orbi log....

On the mobile phones iPhone X/7SE/Galaxy browsing is almost impossible.  Pages almost never completely load.

On the Fire TV, it is several times withing a 30 minute period.

Message 6 of 15
mrfranc
Apprentice

What about the FVS336Gv3 logs? Are they enable?

Message 7 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Could you please list the IP addresses for the Arris port, both sides of the NG router, and the Orbi's?

"GUI" refers to (a) the Orbi web interface Home Page, or (b) a smartphone app?

Those hard wired devices that "have no problem", are they connected to the NG ProSafe or to the Orbi?

With no neighbors, a WiFi scan should have only the Orbi SSID's.  (I use WiFi Analyzer from the Google Play store - it's free.)   Looking at the Time Graph, the WiFi signal never "drops out", correct?

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Connect the Orbi in AP mode directly to the ISP modem in router mode. Test to see if devices get correct internet access. 

@rchorowitz wrote:

There is nothing in the Orbi log....

On the mobile phones iPhone X/7SE/Galaxy browsing is almost impossible.  Pages almost never completely load.

On the Fire TV, it is several times withing a 30 minute period.

Message 9 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@rchorowitz wrote:

The ISP modem is Arris TG1672G  (w/static IP)

The Router is a NG ProSafe FVS336G

I think you have a double NAT case even though Orbi is in AP mode. Both the TG1672G and FVS336G are routers.

If the ISP modem is acting as a router and does NATing on the incoming WAN traffic then this can cause different issues since the other router is also doing NATing. Please confirm if you really have double NAT condition as follows:

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8    (traceroute to Google’s DNS server)

1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. Please check the model of your ISP modem and if you have a manual for it.
  2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the issue,
Message 10 of 15
rchorowitz
Aspirant

@ekhalil Only 1 private IP address (my ProSafe router)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 15
rchorowitz
Aspirant

some are, yes

Message 12 of 15
rchorowitz
Aspirant

GUI" refers to (a) the Orbi web interface Home Page

Those hard wired devices are connected to both the NG ProSafe and the Orbi?

Looking at the Time Graph, the WiFi signal never "drops out", correct, and I do not see any other SSIDs in the area

Message 13 of 15
Chuck_M
Mentor

What did the second IP begin with?

Message 14 of 15
rchorowitz
Aspirant

The second ip is the gateway address for the cable modem