Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router/Satellites updated firmware on their own

MarkC1024
Luminary

Router/Satellites updated firmware on their own

I'm not sure I anticipate this, but just got home from a business trip and found my router and 2 satellites with the new firmware update.  I was planning to do it anyway, but upon checking them I see they are already updated.  I don't think they should do this automatically.  Thoughts?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
Hydro130
Luminary

Re: Router/Satellites updated on their own

I don't disagree with you, but I think Netgear's mindset (for better or worse!) is that they are trying to make Orbi as much as possible a "fire-and-forget" wifi system where the average joe just basically need to plug it in, do the initial setup, and then never have to touch it again.

Many consumers aren't even aware that their network equipment need firmware updates, and so many (dare I say most?) routers out in the wild are ridiculously out-of-date firmware-wise - many have never been updated at all.

Silent/background auto-updates for firmware are quickly becoming the standard norm with all these new consumer-friendly routers these days...  Again, I myself would prefer to do my own updates when I want to, but I also can appreciate that the manufactureres recognize that most average joes simply don't want to be bothered with having to deal with that.  

Message 2 of 4
MarkC1024
Luminary

Good points.

Message 3 of 4
fljoemon
Guide

I'm glad to see the updates didn't mess up the system .. always afraid automatic updates will do something that will screw everything up. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7