Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router and Satellite Placement

RegDawg
Apprentice

Router and Satellite Placement

Is there a recommended distance the router and satellite should be placed from each other? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router and Satellite Placement

I would start at 30ft minimum. Mine is at 40feet and works well in 5000sq ft house.

How big is your home?

Message 2 of 10
RegDawg
Apprentice

2000sqft
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Multi story or single level?

If you placed the orbi router at one end and a Satellite at the other opposite end of the house, should be working well. At least 30feet between. Mines 40. Coverage and performance is great here.

Message 4 of 10
nicholb
Luminary

Straight distance recommendations are tricky. There is a dependency on how many walls and floors the signal goes through as well as the material used. For an extreme example plaster wall with a wire mesh in it would require them to be much closer together whereas clean line of site would be much further apart. 

Ideally you want to put the satellite at the edge of the strong reception area of the router. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

In my case I have two walls in between my router and satellite.

Message 6 of 10
RegDawg
Apprentice

The router is in the middle shelf of an entertainment center. The satellite is in my office roughly 10 ft away with 2 walls between them.
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats realistically too close.

Message 8 of 10
RegDawg
Apprentice

Can too close cause issues?
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, kind of like having over lapping signals in too close of a range. The router alone can handle probably up to about 30-40feet if centrally place.

10 feet is way too close.

I would not place the rouer in a entertainment cabinet either, maybe on very top of it. Keep the router and satellites in open spaces.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7