Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router flashing purple

Cnamngrl14
Aspirant

Router flashing purple

I’m a novice and technophobe. My kids used to help me. My router has stopped working consistently. It sometimes flashes magenta. I’m not sure what color the satellite is but it’s hot in the wall. can search the web but everything is taking forever. How do I reset my router & satellite. I almost need someone to help me step-by-step.
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Router flashing purple

@Cnamngrl14 wrote:
I’m a novice and technophobe. My kids used to help me. My router has stopped working consistently. It sometimes flashes magenta. I’m not sure what color the satellite is but it’s hot in the wall. can search the web but everything is taking forever. How do I reset my router & satellite. I almost need someone to help me step-by-step.

We have all needed help, and wound up here.

It is often a good idea to describe

• The specific Orbi model router and satellite (found on the product label)
  • The exact model of modem the Orbi is connected to.
  • How often the problem occurs

The "ring light" at the top of the Orbi router "pulsing magenta" is supposed to indicate:
" Your Orbi router ring LED might pulse magenta for the following reasons: the WAN port link is down, the router is unable to get the IP address from the modem or ISP, or the router is unable to connect to the Internet. "  See this reference for more information:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean 

I think "hot in the wall" is probably a typo.

Resetting the Orbi is simple, but a word of caution.  If someone has spent a lot of time customizing the Orbi WiFi, performing a "Reset to Factory" will erase everything they did.  After a reset, the WiFi name will be reset to the SSID printed on the router label.  The WiFi password will be reset to the password printed on the label.  If all the WiFi devices in the house have been configured to connect to a customized WiFi network/password, then the Orbi will have to be set up again.  Many customers also customize other Orbi features, such as which Domain Name Server to use (DNS), assigning specific network addresses to certain devices (all 35 of mine!), and other features.  For this reason, for most of us, a Factory Reset is the last fallback if nothing else works

So, (a) more details, please, and (b) how "stock" is this Orbi?

Message 2 of 11
Cnamngrl14
Aspirant

Mine is an RBK2OW

I set it up straight out of the box. No new configurations. I changed the username and password. It wasn’t a typo. When I touch the little satellite in my back room the unit feels warm.

I’m afraid to touch wires and mess anything up because I don’t have tech support any more.
Message 3 of 11
Cnamngrl14
Aspirant

Oh yeah and thank you!!!
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Cnamngrl14 wrote:
Mine is an RBK2OW
I set it up straight out of the box. No new configurations. I changed the username and password. It wasn’t a typo. When I touch the little satellite in my back room the unit feels warm.
I’m afraid to touch wires and mess anything up because I don’t have tech support any more.

Did you change the User Name and password using the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) or the Orbi "app".

Electronics are often warm to the touch.  Sorry I misunderstood.

Message 5 of 11
Cnamngrl14
Aspirant

I’m not sure how I changed the password. I don’t have the Orbi app on my phone but I got a new one. I think I downloaded the app.

I just need to know what cords to connect & disconnect to make this happen. Any tips.
Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Cnamngrl14 wrote:
I’m not sure how I changed the password. I don’t have the Orbi app on my phone but I got a new one. I think I downloaded the app.
I just need to know what cords to connect & disconnect to make this happen. Any tips.

A Factory Reset does not require touching any cables.  Unbend one end of a paperclip and follow these instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

In about two minutes, the Orbi will be operating again, with the original WiFi name and password.  The administrative login (not WiFi) will be "admin" and "password."

Message 7 of 11
Cnamngrl14
Aspirant

The router doesn’t constantly flash purple.

Why do I need a factory reset? I read that it’s just trying to connect to the Internet and that I could power off the device and try to get it talking to the modem. If this will it’ll be easier than a factory reset.

I remember it was hard for me to get the 2 of the devices synced initially and I had telephone support.

Do you really think I should reboot them and reassign the password, which I also don’t know how to do?

Sorry to be so wordy & fearful about all of this. I do apprecIate your immediate responses and suggestions. I may just have to do what the video suggests. I’ll watch the whole thing before I respond again.

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Cnamngrl14 wrote:
The router doesn’t constantly flash purple.

Why do I need a factory reset? I read that it’s just trying to connect to the Internet and that I could power off the device and try to get it talking to the modem. If this will it’ll be easier than a factory reset.

The Factory Reset is my "last resort".  If the Orbi performs correctly most of the time, but occasionally the ring light flashes for a while and then "all is good", my thought would be, "how irritating and annoying is this behavior?"  Enough to take action?

My opinion is that this is not normal.  My Orbi stays connected for months, until I do something to restart it.  As of today, it has been on-line with Spectrum for 44 days.  Can you keep a log (on paper) of when this seems to happen and how long the episodes appear to last?

I guess I am suggesting, (a) don't do anything unless you feel you have to, and (b) it might be worth gathering some more information.

Message 9 of 11
Cnamngrl14
Aspirant

My Orbi has worked for 2 years. No issues.

However, my ability to get consistent downloads/service started when I noticed the intermittent purple a few nights ago. It is serious enough that I want to take action.

May I ask you a basic question?

1. Is it true the once router and satellites are synced they have no color on the rings?

I’ll call my Internet provider again. We were on before but got disconnected.

I can also keep a log and get back to you, but if it keeps bothering me you recommend a factory reset.
Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Cnamngrl14 wrote:
My Orbi has worked for 2 years. No issues.

However, my ability to get consistent downloads/service started when I noticed the intermittent purple a few nights ago. It is serious enough that I want to take action.

May I ask you a basic question?

1. Is it true the once router and satellites are synced they have no color on the rings?  Yes, this is correct.  In normal operation, the ring light is "off".  Netgear (correctly) decided that customers would be annoyed to have a bright light keeping them awake at night.

I can also keep a log and get back to you, but if it keeps bothering me you recommend a factory reset. This is the problem.  While others may have specific advice for this situation, I have none.  It has never happened to me.  Perhaps keeping a log will provide insights as to what could be causing the problem.  The "Last Resort" is to "start over from scratch."

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7