Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router loses 2.4ghz network within 24 hours

MartijnOrbi
Guide

Router loses 2.4ghz network within 24 hours

Since a year I'm the owner of the ORBI RBK50 system, consisting of an RBR50 router and a satellite (RBS50). This setup has always worked perfectly fine, however since a couple of weeks I need to restart every day, because my connection is gone.

Situation

My Orbi Router is running as an AP behind the router that was provide by my ISP. Lately the network becomes unavailable, both wired as well as wireless. The Router doesn't give any visual indication, it is just unavailable. The sattellite has a flashing purple ring at the top.

When I restart my router (turn of/turn on or unplug), it is working fine for max 24 hours, after which it becomes unavailable again.

The setup and configuration hasn't changed in the last year (except for firmware updates).

- RBK50 and RBS50

- Firmware versionV2.2.1.210

Question

- What are possible causes?

- How can I fix this?

- Are there any logs that I could consult so that I can see which errors are possible logged by the Orbi?

Thanks in advance!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

To attack this problem... I would first update that firmware and see if that resolves it.

New firmware is .32 == however you have to flash the RBR50 with .23 as an intermediate step.  

How about updating and coming back to tell us if that resolved the issues.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@MartijnOrbi wrote:

Since a year I'm the owner of the ORBI RBK50 system, consisting of an RBR50 router and a satellite (RBS50). This setup has always worked perfectly fine, however since a couple of weeks I need to restart every day, because my connection is gone.

Situation

My Orbi Router is running as an AP behind the router that was provide by my ISP. Lately the network becomes unavailable, both wired as well as wireless. The Router doesn't give any visual indication, it is just unavailable. The sattellite has a flashing purple ring at the top.

When I restart my router (turn of/turn on or unplug), it is working fine for max 24 hours, after which it becomes unavailable again.

The setup and configuration hasn't changed in the last year (except for firmware updates).

- RBK50 and RBS50

Question

- How can I fix this?

- Are there any logs that I could consult so that I can see which errors are possible logged by the Orbi?

Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 14
MartijnOrbi
Guide

@Chuck_M wrote:

To attack this problem... I would first update that firmware and see if that resolves it.

New firmware is .32 == however you have to flash the RBR50 with .23 as an intermediate step.  

How about updating and coming back to tell us if that resolved the issues.

Thanks for the suggestion, up until now I had only updated firmware that was automatically detected through the Orbi App. I wasn't aware of any updates (My app tells me that my firmware is up to date). Let me try to figure out how to update and report back.

Message 4 of 14
MartijnOrbi
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@MartijnOrbi wrote:

Situation

- RBK50 and RBS50

Question

- How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance!

@FURRYe38 Thanks for this response! My setup has never changed. It has worked perfectly fine for over a year.

The Neighbours WiFi hasn't changed (I checked, thanks for the suggestion), but I can see their SSID (as I have always been able to).

Does this answer help in determining the root cause?

Message 5 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@MartijnOrbi wrote:

........... Lately the network becomes unavailable, both wired as well as wireless. The Router doesn't give any visual indication, it is just unavailable. The sattellite has a flashing purple ring at the top.

To me it looks that Orbi is -for some reason- loosing the IP address assigned to it by the modem. 

When the issue happens, if you don't restart the router but only pull out the WAN cable coming from the modem and plug it again, will this also fix the issue? If yes then we need to look at the modem and the interface towards it.

Also the subject of this post mentions the 2.4 GHz network, but I don't see the relation of this with your description of the issue??

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

@MartijnOrbi wrote:

Thanks for this response! My setup has never changed. It has worked perfectly fine for over a year.

The Neighbours WiFi hasn't changed (I checked, thanks for the suggestion), but I can see their SSID (as I have always been able to).

Does this answer help in determining the root cause?

Message 7 of 14
MartijnOrbi
Guide

@ekhalil That is an excellent suggestion, I have just updated the firmware, and hope that did the trick. However if that doesn't work I will definitely try the WAN cable. Thanks!

With regards to the title: You are totally right, that doesn't make sense at all, that should be something like: Cannot access network within 24 hours after reboot.

Message 8 of 14
MartijnOrbi
Guide

I did the following:
- Firmware upgrade
=> still the same issues
- unplug/plug WAN cable
=> no changes, router still not reachable (no SSID available for wireless and not able to recognize a network of some sorts when linked directly through UTP.
- changed channels for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (haven’t tried all yet).
=> same behavior, after a couple of hours the network is ‘gone’ (no SSID and no network through UTP).

When I reset my router by turning off/on or unplug the cable, sometimes no SSID signal can be found at all (I need to repeat multiple times).

With regards to the questions raised earlier:
Size house: 120 sqm (but irrelevant, because only partly covered)
Distance between router and satellite: <6m (almost directly above each other and backhaul signal is always good)
IP modem: ZTE h368n

Any other ideas?
I get the slight feeling that something is wrong with my router and I might need to make a warranty claim.
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

6m is too close, try 10m. 

If you factory reset the Orbi router, when the top LED pulses WHITE, look at any mobile wifi device, do you see the default setup SSID listed at all? If not, possible HW failure with the Orbi.

Your ISP modem has a built in router already. Is the Wifi disabled on the Modem? 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@MartijnOrbi wrote:
I did the following:
- Firmware upgrade
=> still the same issues
- unplug/plug WAN cable
=> no changes, router still not reachable (no SSID available for wireless and not able to recognize a network of some sorts when linked directly through UTP.
- changed channels for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (haven’t tried all yet).
=> same behavior, after a couple of hours the network is ‘gone’ (no SSID and no network through UTP).

When I reset my router by turning off/on or unplug the cable, sometimes no SSID signal can be found at all (I need to repeat multiple times).

With regards to the questions raised earlier:
Size house: 120 sqm (but irrelevant, because only partly covered)
Distance between router and satellite: <6m (almost directly above each other and backhaul signal is always good)
IP modem: ZTE h368n

Any other ideas?
I get the slight feeling that something is wrong with my router and I might need to make a warranty claim.

Message 10 of 14
MartijnOrbi
Guide

When factory resetting sometimes there is no SSID at all (and no cable connection possible) and sometimes there is the standard SSID.

With regards to all the other actions, I’m happy to try them all, but I don’t get how that could be a solution. This setup has run fine for over a year. Can you please help me understand how changing the ISP modem settings could help (eg what could possibly have changed why this certainly is an issue?)
Thanks again all for the quick and detailed replies. Much appreciated!
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If you never disabled the wifi on the modem or bridged it, it's possible that the system ran ok over the year however with both wifi sources running in close proximity, that the orbi system has degraded to the point where it can't work in a environment with all this interference. 

Please review the modem configuration and Orbi configuration and Distance suggestions and see if this helps Orbi work better. 

@MartijnOrbi wrote:
When factory resetting sometimes there is no SSID at all (and no cable connection possible) and sometimes there is the standard SSID.

With regards to all the other actions, I’m happy to try them all, but I don’t get how that could be a solution. This setup has run fine for over a year. Can you please help me understand how changing the ISP modem settings could help (eg what could possibly have changed why this certainly is an issue?)
Thanks again all for the quick and detailed replies. Much appreciated!

Message 12 of 14
MartijnOrbi
Guide

Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions.
By now I think I have exhausted all the options I'm aware of.

• I have changed distances between Orbi router and Sattelite
  • I have changed cables between ISP Modem And Orbi Router
  • I have changed different modem settings as per @FURRYe38's advice
  • I have factory reseted my Orbi multiple times
  • I have upgraded to the latest firmware (as mentioned earlier)

Until now there is unfortunatey no improvement. The router is unreachable within 24 hours (and mosy of the time with 12 hours), both by WiFi or via a cable directly connected to the router.

If someone has an option left, I'd be thrilled to hear that. Otherwise I think I should make a warranty claim (my set is still within warranty period).

Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I would contact NG support and ask about an RMA. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@MartijnOrbi wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for all your suggestions.
By now I think I have exhausted all the options I'm aware of.

• I have changed distances between Orbi router and Sattelite
  • I have changed cables between ISP Modem And Orbi Router
  • I have changed different modem settings as per @FURRYe38's advice
  • I have factory reseted my Orbi multiple times
  • I have upgraded to the latest firmware (as mentioned earlier)

Until now there is unfortunatey no improvement. The router is unreachable within 24 hours (and mosy of the time with 12 hours), both by WiFi or via a cable directly connected to the router.

If someone has an option left, I'd be thrilled to hear that. Otherwise I think I should make a warranty claim (my set is still within warranty period).

Thanks!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7